Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2003 Disco 110K. When shifting from park to reverse I here a noise and I can feel it in the shifter. The front drive shaft is a 2 years old and the rear drive shaft is original "i think". The rear has two grease fittings. What I did notice is the one of the grease fitting is VERY VERY hard to pump grease through. I filled them all up 3K miles ago and there was no issue. How do you know if you have a bad U joint? I did recently replace the front axle differential oil. I do not drive this car and noticed the noise today. My wife is saying it was happening for a few weeks and that is before I swapped the gear oil. I never touched the center differential and I think I should also swap that as well. What do you think? The transmission shifts fine. Maybe I am just being hyper sensitive.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You might want to consider doing my major service, posted at the top of this section, before your truck craps out on you from lack of servicing.
What color was the gear oil in the front diff, greenish or black and di you check the magnetic drain plug for chunks of metal?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike, The rear diff was sort of a silver milkshake at first then blackish at the end. The plug was just the black sludge. The front diff was clean just some black sludge on the magnet. I am guessing they they were done at 60K. I did go with 80/90 on the gear oil. I am going to do the center diff today. I am thinking something is up with that rear driveshaft. Any easy way to tell if it is worn?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
They are supposed to be done every 30,000 or less. The milk was from water that leaked in, probably thru the vent tube, the black is usually from a bearing that is starting to fail which over heats the diff.
I would suggest you check that fluid in a couple of months, see if it is starting to burn again.
Might want to go read my service list, sound like it has been neglected and this can cost you big time.
Has your front drive shaft ever been rebuilt, it may be failing which when it happens will cost you a tranny also.
Also check the rear rotoflex to make sure it is not getting large cracks between the 6 bolts.
I would suggest you quit driving it till you or a good Rover shop can check it out.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
What color was the fluid, greenish or black, what about the magnet, were there any pieces of metal?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fluid is changed. No metal but the plug was covered in black sludge. The fluid was very dark brown. Took the fluid over to my mechanic friend and he said it was not great looking but has seen much worse. Should I be concerned? The transmission fluid is next.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I would suggest you start doing a major on this truck. One thing about Rovers, they do break down whenever they get a chance, stay ahead of the game and keep it current on the services and if something does break, it will not cost you as much to repair.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finished the transmission fluid. The noise is gone. I now just hear it going into gear. I think I am going to swap the transfer case fluid again in a 1K miles and see how much I am actually leaking. I was surprised how much transmission fluid I needed. I think I used about 5 to 6 quarts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts