Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else run into the problem with the LR parts catalogue not matching the VIN.
Per the catalogue shocks for my VIN are not those for ACE and SLS. A mechanic put non-conforming shocks on my car and they completely stopped the ACE and SLS system. Now when I call for parts every dealer wants to argue the point.

Also since the LR Genuine shocks are out of the UK, taking 3 weeks I'm looking for another manufacturer who has shocks specific to ACE and SLS... Anyone have a recommendation.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
A mechanic put non-conforming shocks on my car and they completely stopped the ACE and SLS system
Maybe cos he fitted shocks which were not for D2 then or disturbed something which affects those systems

That story with "dedicated" shocks fpr ACE and SLS is exagerated IMO and i have strong doubts that fitting proper shocks(i mean which have the correct size) would stop te ACE or SLS system, If that happened the shocks were out of dimensions cos nor the SLS or ACE would stop due to the shocks as there's no sensor for these... I have SLS and ACE and never bothered with the LR part numbers which are listing "dedicated" shocks for ACE, SLS or none of them. Get some decent shocks which are listed for Discovery 2 at reputable manufacturer and if there is an issue with SLS or ACE the problem needs to be diagnosed cos i'm sure it has nothing to do with the shocks

I had Monroe then considered them too soft and fitted Bilstein B6, none of them messed with SLS or ACE albeit Bilstein stated that they are not good for air suspension but i neglected that knowing how the system works.

I'd go for these Terrafirma TF118 TF119 All-Terrain Front and Rear Shock Kit for Discovery 2 | eBay without fear, eventually see if you can find Bilstein B6 of KYB in your country

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe cos he fitted shocks which were not for D2 then or disturbed something which affects those systems

That story with "dedicated" shocks fpr ACE and SLS is exagerated IMO and i have strong doubts that fitting proper shocks(i mean which have the correct size) would stop te ACE or SLS system, If that happened the shocks were out of dimensions cos nor the SLS or ACE would stop due to the shocks as there's no sensor for these... I have SLS and ACE and never bothered with the LR part numbers which are listing "dedicated" shocks for ACE, SLS or none of them. Get some decent shocks which are listed for Discovery 2 at reputable manufacturer and if there is an issue with SLS or ACE the problem needs to be diagnosed cos i'm sure it has nothing to do with the shocks

I had Monroe then considered them too soft and fitted Bilstein B6, none of them messed with SLS or ACE albeit Bilstein stated that they are not good for air suspension but i neglected that knowing how the system works.

I'd go for these Terrafirma TF118 TF119 All-Terrain Front and Rear Shock Kit for Discovery 2 | eBay without fear, eventually see if you can find Bilstein B6 of KYB in your country
Thanks for the info. I believe you're correct that the ace and air system requires different length shocks. Sadly the ones the mechanic put on are not correct. The net result was that the car rolls left to right when it did not do that before. I'll look into your suggestions.!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I believe you're correct that the ace and air system requires different length shocks.
I didnt say that, I'm saying that shocks which are listed for Discovery 2 will work regardless of ACE or SLS cos those i fitted were "generic" and everything is OK, if you check the TF ones i linked it's nothing there about SLS or ACE, see some kits here Suspension Parts For Your Land Rover And Range Rover i have the Bilsteins which are at the end of that list and they work perfect while i see the kit of 4 that it's listed as not for ACE which has the same shocks in it, you can see if you open the links and click on the item with blue, front are p/n 9522 an rears are 9524 individually

I like these too Land Rover Firm Shock Kit: Front & Rear Shock Kit For Land Rovers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt say that, I'm saying that shocks which are listed for Discovery 2 will work regardless of ACE or SLS cos those i fitted were "generic" and everything is OK, if you check the TF ones i linked it's nothing there about SLS or ACE, see some kits here Suspension Parts For Your Land Rover And Range Rover i have the Bilsteins which are at the end of that list and they work perfect while i see the kit of 4 that it's listed as not for ACE which has the same shocks in it, you can see if you open the links and click on the item with blue, front are p/n 9522 an rears are 9524 individually

I like these too Land Rover Firm Shock Kit: Front & Rear Shock Kit For Land Rovers
I don't believe that is true. The shocks for ACE are a different length and pressure. For air suspension they are definitely different. The ARB ones the mechanic used specifically say NOT FOR AIR. I can testify that the shocks do not drive correctly for an ACE equiped D2

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I don't believe that is true. The shocks for ACE are a different length and pressure. For air suspension they are definitely different. The ARB ones the mechanic used specifically say NOT FOR AIR. I can testify that the shocks do not drive correctly for an ACE equiped D2
If you know so well why did you ask?... though it seems that you are mixing things cos you say that shocks which are NOT FOR AIR are not good for ACE while AIR and ACE are not related, two different systems. Also i can testify that the Bilstein shocks which are listed as NOT FOR ACE in the complete kit but nothing mentioned individually are working briliant on my ACE and SLS equipped vehicle. Do you understand how ACE and SLS are working?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts