Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to build a custom long travel kit for my RRC and i am trying to decide what shocks to use.. I have had good luck with OME. I was wondering about Fox, Bilistens, and rancho 9000... Any ideas?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think most of us have used the Old man Emu's. I have the stiff rides on mine. Next step is teh 2 inch lift.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have the OME's and love them...

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
I have the Fox 8-way adjustable reservoirs and they are freakin' awesome. They can be adjusted to ride very hard, or very soft. Riding them hard has kept me very stable on off-cambers & rocks despite quite a bit of height (4-5"). The set-up, with custom SG springs, absolutely eats moguls and rocks. I've had a tire 3' in the air without even realizing it... it's a non-event.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I bought the ProComps from Rovers North. 2" longer than stock, they say, but my rear OME HD springs (with 1" spacers) dislocated at the top. I clamped them in, and if you're going with cones, they'll work great. Ride is good, and they're inexpensive. Team those with a shock lowering bracket, and you'll have more travel than you can use, probably.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SCSL how much are the fox you have? I am on a limited budget, still in school. I was more or less gonna do what bwanna is talking about. I was gonna raise my upper mount drop the lower and get some "cones" to guide.. well at least for the rear, i am trying to figure out the front still.... The other thought i had was to mount my shocks more toward center and build a cross member, limit straps...etc.... but I am gonna start easy.

·
Registered
261 Posts
SCSL said:
I have the Fox 8-way adjustable reservoirs and they are freakin' awesome. They can be adjusted to ride very hard, or very soft. Riding them hard has kept me very stable on off-cambers & rocks despite quite a bit of height (4-5"). The set-up, with custom SG springs, absolutely eats moguls and rocks. I've had a tire 3' in the air without even realizing it... it's a non-event.
scsl, you're like the michael jordan of discos.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
lol,,,Garland that's funny :D

Funrover, the Fox shocks are pretty expensive,,,overpriced. In fact if I was just talking to a friend this morning who is looking to put some suspension together using 5" RTE springs & ProComp's reservoir shocks, which are much less expensive. I'll let you know what he finds out. The problem w/ the SG/Fox set-up is that SG stopped making their custom springs and are now selling their suspension packages w/ OME springs & SG-fab'd spacers (a set-up I'm not crazy about). RTE may be a better option unless SG brings back their springs.

Dislocation cones are the other option--- that's what Cole runs on his Rangie so he may be able to give you more feedback. But he certainly has plenty of flex. I think he's running Ranchos.

Regarding the crossmember up front,,, I removed mine rather than modify it. No issues. RRC may be different.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the way that Cole's works out and that was more or less my plan... I just try to keep and open mind..... Get as much info as i can before i throw down $$$..

·
Registered
298 Posts
I originally replaced my Woodheads with Rancho 5000's because they were cheaper. The rod, bushings, and washers were all smaller than the ProComp's and they actually pulled out of my towers three times. Sucked both washers and the bushing down. Not a good design. I think they pieced the outfit together from existing part #'s.:complain:

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so what level pro comp is good and where are they cheap?

·
Registered
298 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.