Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
G4 Mike
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I put in 2 new Sylvania silver star ultra bulbs in my low beams. Since then I've had to replace both of them. I was looking at the new package yesterday of the same bulbs and it says on the back due to them being so bright they only last 85 hours, average person usage is 100 hours. Not happy about that. Anyone having better luck with a different bulb?

Also decided to change the oil and guess what? I was able to grease the front drive shaft as the oil drained, image that!

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Try Osram night breaker unlimited or laser

·
very disco
1,167 Posts
I’ve had luck in the past with LED headlights, the direct swap ones. Not the cheapo eBay ones.

you should probably change your oil more often than 25000mi @tyl604

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts

·
very disco
1,167 Posts
It’s a long story involving satire of WLA from his driveshaft thread

·
very disco
1,167 Posts
Try Osram night breaker unlimited or laser
very misleading of osram to call that bulb “laser” because it is “laser etched.” Reading the specifications it is halogen technology.

better suited for WLA’s fire extinguisher lolol

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
very misleading of osram to call that bulb “laser” because it is “laser etched.” Reading the specifications it is halogen technology.

better suited for WLA’s fire extinguisher lolol
That's how they named them for marketing reasons but that doesnt change the fact that they are very bright and durable... i dont think that somebody would really think they'll work like a laser gun from start trek though 🆒

·
very disco
1,167 Posts
Well laser headlights are a thing...

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I may....Lots if bulb options. Lots of factors involved that can effect their life expectancy - heat, vibration, electrical spikes, moisture....blah blah blah.
Big thing to note is, ensure that whatever brand you purchase, meets DOT specs. If the Packaging says, “for off road use only, or show use”, I wouldn’t recommend using them on highway.

As to plug and play LED headlamp “bulbs” - avoid them. More and more states are outlawing them.....not worth the risk.

·
very disco
1,167 Posts
As to plug and play LED headlamp “bulbs” - avoid them. More and more states are outlawing them.....not worth the risk.
would you care to qualify that with a citation?

I am under the impression that LED lamps are subject to the same rules and regulations as halogen and xenon with regard to intensity, color, and pattern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
would you care to qualify that with a citation?

I am under the impression that LED lamps are subject to the same rules and regulations as halogen and xenon with regard to intensity, color, and pattern.
Happy to discuss further - First, lets make sure we’re talking about the same thing....I am referring to a “bulb”, not an entire new headlamp assembly.

·
very disco
1,167 Posts
Correct, removing a halogen bulb and inserting an LED “bulb”

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
IMO doesnt worth the hassle nor the money epecially in warm climate countries cos even with those radiators they emit much more heat than halogens in a D2 facelift lamp 2003 Land Rover Discovery LED Headlight Conversion Kits — CARiD.com

they look brigher for the opposite traffic but the effect for the driver is not huge... that's confirmed by two people i know who fitted them then reverted to halogen for that reason. I'd keep it simple and fit good quality halogens

·
very disco
1,167 Posts
A halogen bulb emits light omnidirectionally and relies upon the reflector surface in the headlamp assembly to control the direction, spread, and pattern of the output.

LED lamps are typically bi or tri-directional, and the gaps in emittance are exacerbated by the assembly‘s reflector array, resulting in less light being beamed in the appropriate directions. If you’re seeing the output it’s definitely brighter, but there’s a strong chance it’s not covering the road ahead as uniformly as it should.

pairing an appropriately designed LED to your headlamp is superior to halogen.

as far as the heat argument goes, heat is a byproduct of inefficiency. Cheapo LED lamps are made with cheap electronics, which are arguably of inferior design and efficiency. A well made LED lamp should require significantly less cooling and output less heat.

I certainly dont recommend going to eBay and buying a $20 pair of LEDs. I do recommend putting some thought and research into selecting the correct LED for your application.

End of rant

·
Expert Crate Digger
225 Posts
Cheapo LED lamps are made with cheap electronics, which are arguably of inferior design and efficiency. A well made LED lamp should require significantly less cooling and output less heat.
I learned this very quick when buying LEDs on eBay.
Spend $15 for a pack of cheaply produced LED bulbs that burn out quick/fall apart or spend $20 for a quality set that lasts... well... 3 years now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts