Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm going to see a 1997 Disco with 120k KM. I always like the Disco and interested in this one due to its price and relatively low mileage. However, I wonder if you guys would recommend the Disco II than the Disco of 1997?
I know that the Disco II has been improved a lot according to the magazine, but probably for the same reason, they're much more expensive in the used market. To me, the #1 priority is reliability and handling -- would the Disco I be good enough in these areas or you'd strongly recommend me to spend more for a newer Disco II?

thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
As I have only owned a D1 (two actually), I cannot speak about D2 reliability etc, besides, all vehicles have their own personalities. You might get a good one, a so-so one, or a lemon, but only time will tell you that. What I can tell you is, that I have had a dream run with both of mine. What you need to access however, is what you want the vehicle for. If you are looking to use it as your daily commuter with some off roading, then I believe the D1 is the better choice (better approach & departure angle), and it has less electronic "thingo's" that can go wrong. If off roading is not a consideration, the D2 might be the choice, especially if you like electronic "thingo's". I hope this helps.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want to do with it...

If you want a capable and reliable vehicle, go with the D1... Some model years of the D2are close to the D1 in relaiabilty ('99 and '04, I think), but they'll cost you more money up front.

The '03 I own has more modern bells and whistles than a D1 and most D2's, but that's about it... oh yeah, more horsepower and torgue, but that may not be important to you...

·
RUGDRVR
13 Posts
I have the last of the D1's - a 1998 - and it is great. I like it better thanthe D2 for off road since the hill descent control is via the transmission and not via the brakes / ABS system. But the D2 does appear faster & peppier on the road.

It has proven to be very robust and met all the demands I have placed on it.

One thought is that you should do ALL the 60K mileage maintenance items if you do decide to go with this one. R&R all fluids, filters (I like the K&N for air & K&N long oil) hoses, belts, plugs wires etc.... even if they look ok - don't toss 'em save 'em up as trail spares. I generally have a shop do the transmission since the cross bar is in the way & I hear its tough - but I should probably try it once for fun!

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
You two do realize of course this thread was posted........

3 years ago I don't think the OP is coming back for his answer

·
Registered
19 Posts
luckily

I'm looking into getting a disco and this provided me with enough info to look in the direction of a Disco 1. So not a complete waste replying to that haha.

I live in southern California and have a motorcycle that I use daily, just looking for a vehicle to take every once and a while when I need to haul more than myself and go offroading or camping. That plus it gets a little too cold during the winter to ride. Always wanted a disco.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.