Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Should I Buy? D1

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  alvisscott275 
#1 ·
Hey all, I’m new here so I hope I’m doing this right!
I am currently looking at a ‘98 D1 4.0 Auto to purchase in CO. 200k miles. Rear shocks are blown and needing to be replaced - could possibly be watts linkage. ABS light on (un-diagnosed from seller). Minor signs of rust in rear door jams. Typical interior wear and paint fade. Main question is : what is a realistic value for the vehicle considering age and issues? I know ABS will a troubleshooting experience.
Any and all feedback appreciated. Cheers!

#2 ·
What's your experience level? What you see isn't at all what you get with these. If it's been neglected, expect that every cooling system part needs replacement and you're gonna need to set aside some money for unexpected repairs. ABS could be as simple as a wheel speed sensor connector being corroded or as expensive and painful as a new ABS pump. I'd get it as cheap as possible - I would aim for under $1k, but at the very highest 1500 or 1800. These things get expensive very quick.

#4 ·
You’ll learn quick, and it’s good if you’re buying it as a project. Lots of people on here buy one in that kind of shape as a daily, and then complain when it strands them.
But if you have money and are mechanically inclined, go for it if the price is cheap enough. You’ll learn quickly, and there are plenty of good threads and people that can help. Good luck!

#5 ·
Hey all, I’m new here so I hope I’m doing this right!
I am currently looking at a ‘98 D1 4.0 Auto to purchase in CO. 200k miles. Rear shocks are blown and needing to be replaced - could possibly be watts linkage. ABS light on (un-diagnosed from seller). Minor signs of rust in rear door jams. Typical interior wear and paint fade. Main question is : what is a realistic value for the vehicle considering age and issues? I know ABS will a troubleshooting experience.
Any and all feedback appreciated. Cheers!
Interesting you can buy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.