·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
appstatedisco said:
http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c...th&advanced=&start_year=1981&isp=y&cardist=22
it says it needs head gaskets, how much are they to buy/install and is it worth it? other than that it appears to be in good shape. I probobly won't get it, but hey, maybe someone else who knows howto work on it will grab it up for dirt cheap. :drink1:
Under $300 for the head gasket kit, takes about two days to install (if you take your time and clean all the parts). Some folks can do it in 4 hours but I like to take my time.

Not a bad deal, I missed an opp to get a 94 DI this weekend with a bad engine for 900 bucks. I have a spare 4.6 sitting in my shed so replacing the engine wouldn't have been a problem, just don't have enough time to play with 3 LRs....

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
You should offer them half the price they are asking and go from there. Even if you got the truck for 1k you could most likely double your money parting it out on Ebay! Just call around to local shops or heaven forbid your local LR dealer to get a quote on the job. I am sure it isn't cheap as it is fairly labor intensive. Let us know what you find out, as I am sure some of us will be needing that job done in the future. :mad:

P.S. if you buy that truck to part out I need the RH exhaust manifold as mine is cracked!!! HA, HA!! :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol, thanks for the info fella's. i'll consult meine mutter about it and see if she thinks this a wise investment. If I have the gasket fixed, I might be able to use this strictly as a trail rig, or sell it and double my initial investment, allowing me to buy more useless crap for my 95 disco hehe, oh the possibilities. cheers mates. :drink1:

- AppStateDisco

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Badger1 said:
You should offer them half the price they are asking and go from there. Even if you got the truck for 1k you could most likely double your money parting it out on Ebay! Just call around to local shops or heaven forbid your local LR dealer to get a quote on the job. I am sure it isn't cheap as it is fairly labor intensive. Let us know what you find out, as I am sure some of us will be needing that job done in the future. :mad:

P.S. if you buy that truck to part out I need the RH exhaust manifold as mine is cracked!!! HA, HA!! :D
Make me an offer on the manifold, I have a used one in stock.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
apbtpetey said:
When I click the link it says it isnt on there anymore. Did you buy it?
Not I. I saw it last night but it's gone today.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
You snooze you lose.........

I guess one of our hidden lurkers got it. Not I. I live in a apartment.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
My answer to the thread question........

I take advantage of the Internet stuff like CARFAX and stuff.

In the future, private individuals instead of used car dealerships and auctions. They just tend to fix it until it is sold and try to get you with extended warantees. If you want an extended warantee, shop it yourself so you don't have a middleman that will run with your money.

Just me.

Adam in NYC

PostScript:

With the so-called "employee discount" stuff going on in the States, you see some prices but they are almost the same as the rebates and stuff you usually get.

I will also patiently wait until some of the new ones go off-lease. I want to know how they will run long-term. I hope they solve that aliment of old dogs and mature Land Rovers, the uncontrolled peeing of (car) fluids.

Adam in NYC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.