Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm just curious, are the side marker lights (in front of the doors) only supposed to be on when hazards are? That's the only time I can get the rear bumper and side markers to work. Shouldn't they be on when the headlights or indicators are switched on? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
The side markers are together with the head and tail lamps and the side repeaters with the indicators so you should know exactly which are what

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
Side repeater /side signals should work all the time when signalling regardless of lights on or off

·
very disco
481 Posts
Lol Fery your answer is confusing AF

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As is sits: my turn signals work just fine-- front and rear (sides of cargo door)

The yellow bumper lights and the side lamps (in front of the doors) only light up when hazards are activated and do flash when the key is used to lock the doors. Beyond that, they don't turn on. It's driving me nuts. They obviously function, but not in the way I expect or think they should. I'd think they'd be on if I turn the headlight switch for marker lights and stay on when I have the headlights on. Please forgive me, I truly have researched this and it's my first Land Rover. The PO had really jacked with the wiring when he installed a new engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
As is sits: my turn signals work just fine-- front and rear (sides of cargo door)

The yellow bumper lights and the side lamps (in front of the doors) only light up when hazards are activated and do flash when the key is used to lock the doors. Beyond that, they don't turn on. It's driving me nuts. They obviously function, but not in the way I expect or think they should. I'd think they'd be on if I turn the headlight switch for marker lights and stay on when I have the headlights on. Please forgive me, I truly have researched this and it's my first Land Rover. The PO had really jacked with the wiring when he installed a new engine.

What you are talking about seem to be the side repeaters. They utilize single element 5w bulbs and are paired with the turn/hazard flasher. They are located there to allow a car coming up alongside you know that you intend to change lanes. They will only flash with an indicator, turn/or hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
very disco
481 Posts
I think the OP is stating that the side markers are only illuminating with the hazards and not with the turn signals.

·
very disco
481 Posts
I’ve never even checked the operation my side markers (on any of my discos, ever).

I’ll see what they do when I get home tonight.

Not sure if it’s worth troubleshooting, as a retro-wire would be incredibly simple:

Two 12v accessory relays
Two diodes
Maybe 25’ 16-18ga primary wire
Roughly 30min of your life

With 5w bulbs you could probably skip the relays and simply tack them onto the blinker circuits, but that may/may not disrupt the cadence or the blinking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve never even checked the operation my side markers (on any of my discos, ever).

I’ll see what they do when I get home tonight.

Not sure if it’s worth troubleshooting, as a retro-wire would be incredibly simple:

Two 12v accessory relays
Two diodes
Maybe 25’ 16-18ga primary wire
Roughly 30min of your life

With 5w bulbs you could probably skip the relays and simply tack them onto the blinker circuits, but that may/may not disrupt the cadence or the blinking.

Thanks! Please do let me know how yours work out! I'd appreciate it! I've considered just LED'ing them and then tacking onto the blinkers, but that said, I'd love to attempt to do it right first. Know what I mean?

·
very disco
481 Posts
Yeah doing it right sounds great, but sometimes it’s a losing proposition with LR.

I’ll confirm the operation of mine (2003) tonight.

Maybe some others can chime in with how their lights work. I do know that on my truck, the lower bumper lights only illuminate when I hit the F and R fog switch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah doing it right sounds great, but sometimes it’s a losing proposition with LR.

I’ll confirm the operation of mine (2003) tonight.

Maybe some others can chime in with how their lights work. I do know that on my truck, the lower bumper lights only illuminate when I hit the F and R fog switch.
Haha! I'm starting to see that! I have had a few MGB's and found that to be so true! Sometimes just doing it "right" wasn't doing it right. Haha! I am very comfortable with wiring as I used to wire police and military vehicles in regard to lights and surveillance systems.

·
very disco
481 Posts
My father has an mgb that’s he’s restoring, and it’s the same... when the Lucas starts acting up, it gets bypassed and resolved with easily obtainable, inexpensive relays and easy to follow wiring. Positive earth?!? Makes me question the thought process there.

My D1s saw a lot of rewiring, but not so much my D2s

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My father has an mgb that’s he’s restoring, and it’s the same... when the Lucas starts acting up, it gets bypassed and resolved with easily obtainable, inexpensive relays and easy to follow wiring. Positive earth?!? Makes me question the thought process there.

My D1s saw a lot of rewiring, but not so much my D2s
It's a blast! Haha! Luckily, my B's were negative earth-- "newer" ones. I always carried extra wiring smoke in the trunk in case I ever ran out. Hahahahaha! The B wiring was made to be waaaayy overly complicated. As simple as it is, the linked circuits and lack of relays and such was ludicrous...and made it complicated.

·
very disco
481 Posts
So yeah. My side marker turn indicator repeater flasher lamps... they blink in unison with the corner lamps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So yeah. My side marker turn indicator repeater flasher lamps... they blink in unison with the corner lamps.
Thanks! I was able to get mine working last night!! I was cleaning every ground connection I could find and when I went to test them again, they worked!! Now, I am about 99% I did nothing other than bump a wire/wire loom, but they're working every time I turn on the turn signals. I'm glad you confirmed they're not marker lights like I thought! Thanks so much! Now, I get to head on to the next project-- Three Amigos. mine seems to be caused by erratic signals from the right and, eventually, left front sensors. I ordered one and am still waiting for it. The connector is nice and clean. I plan on testing it with my meter tonight after work. I also have to install a new MAF to rule out the aftermarket one being the cause of mixture adaption factor and additive adaptive mixture correction errors. Good times!

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
I think the OP is stating that the side markers are only illuminating with the hazards and not with the turn signals.
Again:mad: just for accuracy ... it seems that the confusion is still there :serious...cos the markers are not supposed to be linked to indicators at all, the markers are supposed to be on together with the side/head lamps, the side repeaters are working together with the indicators/hazards... and if what i read is true i'd say to double check that cos as long as the repeaters are working with hazards they MUST work with indicators too AS LONG AS THE INDICATORS ARE WORKING in reality not just on the dash cos the circuit is the same through the indicator's relays so it's technically impossible for them to work with hazards but not with indicators on the same circuit... so i insist that if the side repeaters are not working on turn indicators but OK on hazards make sure that the indicators are working cos there is a management thing controlled by the BCU and IDM which makes the difference in the operation mode but the feed for the bulbs is the same... to be 100% clear, the feed for the repeaters is on the same circuit with the indicators on the same wire which splits between the lamps so when that wire gets feed no matter if it's indicator or hazard the bulbs get feed as well... i cropped a relevant part from the diagram jut for one side(the other is the same) where it's clearely visible that the once 12V gets in that header based on hazard or indicator input(no matter which) the result must be the same

·
very disco
481 Posts
Perhaps it’s nomenclature here.

The lights on the fenders, I call them side markers.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
The markers are bulbs within the headlamp assy at the front and within the tail lamps at the rear the same feed with side/head lamps and the repeaters are those small indicators on the sides in front of the front doors only

1 - 20 of 22 Posts