Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased (secondhand) a Pair of genuine Land Rover Discovery side steps part # RTC9507ABEQ, they are covered in the same rubber material as the top of the rear Bumper. They have 2 mounting brackets each, 1" (approx.) square tubes, protruding about 8" out the back mof the steps with 2 bolts (each) screwed into tubes. I removed the Sill Covers, thinking there would be 2 square holes to slide the mounts into and screw the bolts in to hold. There is nothing there to fit the steps to. My Disco is a '93 3.5, Auto. DOES ANYONE HAVE SOME PICS OF THEIR SIDESTEPS THEY COULD SEND ME. I dont know if there are fitting brackets that are supposed to come with the steps, when purchased new. I would appreciate any help, especially some pics, my email address for pics is [email protected] Thanks in advance, Regards Frank.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4x4disco said:
most side steps either
Bolt directly to the chassis or (the quick fit type) clip to the underside of the car.
If you lay them down and look under the car all should become clear.
Sean
Sean, thanks for the reply mate, I have tried to "dummy" fit them to see if there are any points or somewhere brackets can be attached, nothing, the chassis is a good 8" inches further inboard. I would imagine that when new the sidesteps would have come with fitting brackets. That's why I need to see a Disco "live" or some kind soul send me some Pics of their setup, Regards Frank.

·
MG
771 Posts
I've got sidesteps on my D1 that'll I'll take a picture of as soon as it is out of the shop (don't hold your breath :eek: )...

Here are a couple that I have "on file" - not the best, but perhaps you can "interpret" them:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I actually have a bracket kit for a D1. I, too got a set of used boards, but never installed them. The bracket kit is brand new, it was about $80. Make an offer. I looked at the install instructions, but they're useless. I have a set on my winter truck as well, I can take some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
frickjp said:
I actually have a bracket kit for a D1. I, too got a set of used boards, but never installed them. The bracket kit is brand new, it was about $80. Make an offer. I looked at the install instructions, but they're useless. I have a set on my winter truck as well, I can take some pics tomorrow.
Thanks for the offer, I'm in Australia and with the exchange rate and shipping the brackets would cost more than the steps, I would be interested in some Pics of the brackets though, Regards Frank.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
asterix said:
I'd be interested in getting your running boards if they are still available.
They are still in my garage. I live in central Kalifornia so shipping might be an issue. You can have them for free if you arrange for the shipping, as in tell me where to drop them off and pay for it. I have no idea who to use to ship such long items. Just PM me when you have it figured out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If shipping for asterix falls through, let me know. I have a friend in Porterville that may be able to pick them up (if the distance isn't too great) and hold them for me until I make my way back through.

·
MG
771 Posts
Have you been able to get the brackets?

I finally took some shots of the setup on the Beast, hope these help...

The first shot is of the driver's side, the rest are of the passenger's side - I've removed that step already.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a used 96. Has the brackets, but no running boards. I'd be happy to take the brackets off and ship them. I've been going to remove them anyway - just too lazy.

No charges for the brackets - you pay the shipping. They're not that big so probably won't be a large cost.

Email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jhmover said:
I have a used 96. Has the brackets, but no running boards. I'd be happy to take the brackets off and ship them. I've been going to remove them anyway - just too lazy.

No charges for the brackets - you pay the shipping. They're not that big so probably won't be a large cost.

Email me at [email protected] if you're interested.
Thank you for your generous offer, after looking at the brackets and where they sit, I have decided not to fit the side steps. they are extremely vunerable to damage and ruin the great ground clearance that I now have. I will look at making a retractractable step (for the Missus) that's not going to get trashed the first time off road, Thanks Again, Most Appreciated, Regards Frank.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for all the trouble you have gone to, I appreciate your efforts. I have decided that the S/Steps are going to create ground clearance problems, so I am now not going to fit them, Thank you and all of the other Posters that offered good advice as well, Regards Frank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.