Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my beloved SIIa landy for just over 2 years now and there have been many ups and downs with problems here and there but my love for her has never wained. Tomorrow should see her back on the road after I have fitted a new Brake master cylinder and bleed through etc. She has many mix and match parts inc. SIII wings which is all right but I would like to get her back to her origonal condition. My local dealer and amature workshop have both asked me for my chassis number before to 'help them find the right parts', I am guessing that they must be able to search records and find her origional setup, is it possible to get a copy of the origional spec?

Tango

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
2a

Hi Tango,
It all depends on the age of your 2a as there are basically 2 "types" of 2a as we think of them.
The first is the headlights in the radiator panel type,the traditional 2a in other words,the other "late 2a" has got series 3 type wings with the headlights in the wings and has a larger "plus" grille these where found on H and J registered vehicles.
The best thing to do is take maybe 3 or 4 pictures of the outside,inside and engine bay we then can tell you what you need to get to return you motor to its original form.

Most 2a's where fairly standard so sourcing parts wont be a problem.
you only need to find the year of manufacture to source bits they where all pretty much the same throughout the range.

Cheers Onz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
She actually has both Wing mounted lights and grill mounted so I am guessing she is early and someone has just added SIII wings later. I understand she was not registered on the road straight away but her reg is YSL.

Tango

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would agree with your suspicion that it's rad panel is original, and that it shouln't have wing lights. It certainly looks better on a SII that way too, as it has that period look. You could replace the entire wings, or just get replacement front panels, but if you have the SIII heater side intake, the former is the better option.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
wings

As Snagger sez its certainly not a late 2a,the replacement of the wings with proper 2a ones is the best way to go,but good 2a wings are becoming scarce when you consider the newest ones are over 30 years old not many have got through un scathed so be prepared to do a little filling and bashing,other than that it looks pretty original.
Wings are the hardest things to find for an original 2a.
Onz

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey Good Looking.....

I think your truck looks great with all four lights! Landies aren't known best for their lighting the road up ahead abilities....so I would imagine that the four lights help with that? Its nice to be original but Ive always preferred functional over original.
Good luck which ever way you go!
Andy :drive:

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
lights

the lighting thing is very true,on very windy days the candles blow out. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
There's no reason that you can't have good lighting in the original SII configuration; just fit the Quadoptic halogen upgrades, or RR Classic halogen light units with the new brighter halogen bulbs (50% brighter than std halogens) with relays for dipped and main beam controlled by the original feed wires and switch, drawing main power from the batt terminal on the starter. This will probably be brighter than the existing set up with sealed beam units.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am having a problem with brake parts at the moment and I dont know if anyone has any ideas...

The problem is that my master cylinder has gone US on me and whilst trying to get a new one I have found that my Rover has 1/4' hydrolic piping throughout the brake system but all the SIIa cylinders have 1/4' inlet pipes but 3/16' outlets. I am really stuck as to where to go to find a cylinder to do the job and I am not keen on re-doing the whole brake system to 3/16'. I dont know if anyone knows if any Rovers were fitted with the larger piping maybe on a SI or SII?

Any ideas would be greatly recieved.

Cheers Tango

·
Registered
8 Posts
Information

Hi,
A good place to find out about series 2's is the www.seriers2club.co.uk
all manor of experts on there, and extremly help full.
If you can locate the chassis number (should be on the o/s dumb iron, behind the front bumper)
Paul
!971 S 2a.
1982 S3.
1986 Range Rover.
1972 Triumph TR6.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :drink1:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She's ALIVE!!

Thanks Smokey, as it happens it turns out that it was a military part and the new one is on and other than a few small leaks here and there (the usual stuff) she is running sweet as a nut. I am not sure if I will be returning her to origional spec as having had a good chat with a few friends it is generally agreed that she is how she is and its good to be different anyway.

I am hoping to be getting a new job and with it a well deserved pay rise which if it all comes off I am going to be looking to get another old Rover to kit up to play in the local clubs playpit, I would like to keep in with series landies as I am getting to know my way round them now. I was wondering what peoples ideas as to the best series to get off road with is just to let you know what I am going to go up on the clubs website is www.slroc.com and the Newbourne track. Any comments would be well recieved.

Tango

·
Registered
62 Posts
onslow said:
Hi Tango,
It all depends on the age of your 2a as there are basically 2 "types" of 2a as we think of them.
The first is the headlights in the radiator panel type,the traditional 2a in other words,the other "late 2a" has got series 3 type wings with the headlights in the wings and has a larger "plus" grille these where found on H and J registered vehicles.

Cheers Onz
Hey, don't forget about us SIIa Bugeye guys!!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Nice Bugeye

But, somehow, I don't think the windscreen bolts are a very secure point to fix a 'roll cage' to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts