Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks!
Series newbie, so maybe some one can help.
I have just got a 1974 SIII swb petrol, all is fine except when I slow down for a junction or turn it has started to miss fire, i.e. bang from the exhaust and when I come to stop it will cut out completely...I can can sort of fix this by pulling the choke 1/4 out.
My limited knowledge I'm guessing dirt in the carb or timing.....? Any suggestions of how to fix would be most gratefully recived. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Benuk,
Yeah, timing would be my first quess too...if you have a timing gun and the green bible the procedure is pretty straightforward. Heh, make sure you can see the mark on the crank pulley though...I put a little bit of yellow paint on the mark so I could see it...

Now, since you have a series 3, you have the Zenith right? It could also be your idle mix adjustment...but I'd lean more towards timing...

Certainly, goo in the fuel lines and carb jets would be a problem as well...but, start with the simple and inexpensive things...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bogatyr, thanks for the advice. No timing gun and bible is in the post!...but I think I might be able to get someone to help me with this.
It is a weber carb and I have tried adjusting it with no joy, so I will have a bash at the timing this week end. Thanks again Ben.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Benuk,
Hmm, not sure about the weber...never fiddled with one, so, if your timing is ok, you might want to see who has noodled with one before...

Bogatyr

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Take a look at you Vacume advance.
There is a pipe that goes from the Carburator to the Distributer.
This either forward or retard the timeing as your enjin revs increase/decrease.

1) check for blockiges
2) check for holes in the pipe
3) Ckeck that it seals both sides
4) Check both sides (Carb & Distr) for blockiges/dirt

Remember this pipe carries a vacume, so it is essential that it seals 100% and does not leak at all. It amso needs to be a sturdy pipe, so that air preasuure does not push it flat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay...quick update:
With some help got the timing set and messed around with carb, seems to have fixed the problem. Drove home 12 along the back roads okay, got to track to my house and it dies and wont even tick over...after some test seems like the alternator is screwed, was on kicking out 6 volts....sooooo, off down the scrap yard this afternoon to find another...welcome to Land rovers..lol! Actually I have a diesel SEAT as well and the alternator has gone on that too, so double whammy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update#2
Just got an alternator from at Ford Fiesta for £10.00, looks like it might do the job, will have a tinker when I get home.
Have also stopped the SEAT alternator from screeching by pouring engine oil over it, still dont use the heater or lights, but as long as it runs while the S3 is off the road I dont mind!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update#3 - Or adventures of an incompetent newbie!

Pretty much good news to report, I managed to get the old alternator out and it looks pretty much like the one I got from the Ford, bad light and kids needing to be put to bed stopped me from actually putting it in so can’t actually say if my first exploration into mechanics has worked (i.e. fixed the problem), but will hopefully find that out tonight.

Did learn a few lessons though:

1. When you get home from work say hello and give wife a kiss before going straight to your Landy.
2. Keep mouth shut when under neither the vehicle unless you like the taste of mud and oil.
3. Goggles might be helpful as well too avoid the above mud and oil flakes from grinding under your eye lids.
4. Working with a maglite tucked between your chin and shoulder can quickly become a pain.
5. Gloves might be advisable, especially if you have an important meeting the next day and after hours of scrubbing you hands still look like you work on a fair ground.
6. Might want to invest in some good quality tools as the ones that your dad gave you 10 years ago when he was clearing out the garage are really not that good.
7. When you have difficulty getting under your landy, it is time for a diet or to get some ramps.

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Welcome to the weird and wonderfull world of DIY motoring!!!

Be glad your first try is a landy. Mine was a Alfa Romeo GTV. Way to complex for a novice and so low on the ground that noone can fit under it, Unless you are less than 4 years old of a native of Ethiopiea or Biafra.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay last update, as I’m sure this is off little interest to anyone else apart from me..:0)
Got home and after a bit of a struggle got the alternator in and by golly it works like a dream! Benuk 1 – Landy 0.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Benuk,
Cool deal, congratulations.
Don't worry, she'll even the score soon enough... ;)
Bogatyr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.