Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just aquired a landrover 90 Diesel Turbo, there is no hand book, Just wondering, it seems to be permenantly in 4wd, is that normal, other (Japanese)trucks I've had have had some form of Freewheeling hubs, presumably this one is designed to be permanently 4wd?

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
You can get aftermarket Freewheel hubs if you want. I dont know on your side of the world but here in South Africa they are very common

·
Registered
1 Posts
Moeras said:
You can get aftermarket Freewheel hubs if you want. I dont know on your side of the world but here in South Africa they are very common
As far as I am aware you cannot get free wheeling hubs for a 90. It's permenant 4 wheel drive and that's the way it stays!! The free wheeling hubs are for the series motors These are switchable four or two wheel drive. On the 90 you have no way of removing drive to the front axle.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Apart from removing the front prop shaft.. Did this once when the UJ broke.. Made it alot of fun getting the back end out on a muddy gokart track last year :buttrock:

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
There is a company in SA that manufactures Free wheel hubs for modern Land Rovers & Japanese 4X4's.

Cant tell you how they work at this stage, but will try and find out and give some feedback.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When used on a selectable 4x4, a freewheel hub will stop the front diff and propshaft from turning and save you a small amount of fuel. On a permanent 4 wheel drive it does nothing as far as I can tell as the diff is still driven by the transfer drive.
Are there any benefits I am missing? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Not only does installing locking front hubs do nothing for you on a permanant all wheel drive vehicle, the vehicle won't even move unless the center differential is locked. All power would be transfered to the axle of least resistance, consequently, the vehicle would just sit there spinning the front differential.

Locking front hubs are only intended for vehicles with selectable 2x4, 4x4 transfer cases, and those transfer cases do not have a differential gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts