Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 01 disco seems to skip. the check engine light just came on as well. the engine just does not seem as though it is running right. I think it is just skipping for some reason. could it be bad gasoline. i did recently put mid grade instead of premium in the tank. could this cause the problem?

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe so....so do you not think it could be bad gas. is there a way to check the plugs without going to the dealer and forking over 95 smackers for the diagnostic

· Registered
23 Posts
Yah, but mostly with lower grade fuel, you'll get a lot of knocking and pinging. As painful as it is, I use super and every other month or so, will throw in a bottle of fuel inj cleaner to help blow out any crap. Try a fuel system cleaner, chances are if only lower grade fuel was ran, the valves are a little gunked up...start small, little things, I'm not sure if a local store still sells them but, there's a wire resistance tool that MAC tools used to carry on their trucks, it looked like a small old transistor radio, the antenna would pull out and at the end was a u shaped hook that you'd slip over any part of the spark plug wire, if the resistance was high, you had a bad wire and so forth...

· Registered
184 Posts
Mine started running rough and skipping a few weeks ago. Took it to Autozone to get the code read and it was misfiring. I changed the spark plugs and wires and it hasn't done it since. I order the wires from Atlantic British for $90, the dealership wanted $240 for them.

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks....i may do that myself. does the autozone check cost anything. and will the fact that i am doing the work void any warranty issues later you think? thanks for the ideas!!!

· Registered
184 Posts
Drum655 don't do what I did and cross two of the wires while you are putting them on. I did this and spent about a day a half trying to figure out what was wrong. The coil pack is a little hard to get to but it's not to bad. you should have no trouble doing it yourself. Just take them off one at a time.

· Registered
444 Posts
Scott, I had a similar problem and I changed my plugs and started to change the wires and well I can barely fit my hand down to the coil pack I got one wire changed, closed the hood and went inside, I have to have a buddy come over and help on that one. haha... Those things are impossible to see as well...

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i noticed it was hard to see the coil....why in the world would land rover do that. i guess the same reason that a trailer hitch wire harness costs 250 bucks. but man you gotta love land rovers....the best vehicle in the world!~!!

· Registered
23 Posts
You've also gotta remember that this engine is about 35, 40 yrs old in design, they got the blueprints from ford? I believe, I think it came out of a Buick...anyway, they didn't do any real mods on the engine, just built the chassis around it so, you can't blame lr, totally LOL

· Mod. --- I'm watching you
319 Posts
I'm driving to Yellowstone National Park next week so I'm going through the LR pretty good changing all kinds of things... Plug wires on these trucks is just plan stupid... someone should take that guy out back and beat his ass like a drum for even suggesting to put the coil packs on the back of the block...I'm not looking forward to doing those again... but since I only have 45k on it it will be a while before I have to do it again ;) thank god...

Anything weird about the brake on these? They don't look wierd but since they have the coil packs in a dark and lonely cave, nothing will surprize me now ;)

· Registered
106 Posts
darkknight1999 said:
I'm driving to Yellowstone National Park next week so I'm going through the LR pretty good changing all kinds of things... Plug wires on these trucks is just plan stupid... someone should take that guy out back and beat his ass like a drum for even suggesting to put the coil packs on the back of the block...I'm not looking forward to doing those again... but since I only have 45k on it it will be a while before I have to do it again ;) thank god...

Anything weird about the brake on these? They don't look wierd but since they have the coil packs in a dark and lonely cave, nothing will surprize me now ;)
i hear ya man, ive never yelled at a car so much just to change the dam plug wires in my life. Who ever thought up where to put the coil should be smacked every morning he wakes up.

· Mod. --- I'm watching you
319 Posts
Do they make a kit to relocate them to a better place?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.