Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, kids...it's Stupid Question Thursday! And today, we have a two-fer! I'm tracing out an intermittent 3 amigos problem and think maybe the problem is at the SLABS. The code indicates an electrical failure on the left rear wheel speed sensor. I tore things down and can see it's been replaced with the long cable version, so it's not the connection at the hub. I think maybe the connection on the SLABS unit is flaky.

Stupid Question #1 : how does one remove the panel that covers the SLABS? I tried pulling the plastic buttons on the cover but they don't want to budge.
Stupid Question #2 : how are the wires connected to the SLABS? Punched? Soldered? Plugged? Magic?

Right now, this is the only problem I have with this vehicle, so I want to fix it so I'll have something else to worry about.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Hi, did you use a dedicated tester? generic reader can give you wrong code... the ABS warning stays on alone after the ignition reset and goes away when the vehicle exceeds 7mph or all the 3 amigos are going off together?... as about the connection at the SLABS it depends if the wiring was retrofitted or from factory, the fasteners of the pannel under the glovebox are like this

you have to use a bit of force and better use a dedicated removal tool something like this https://www.amazon.com/SODIAL-Upholstery-Removal-Remover-Fastener/dp/B00K69GDQK but it's better to remove the glovebox for easy access to SLABS

as about the fault if it's confirmed to be sensor related that fault can be caused by play in the hub as well

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Initially, I would get the three amigos and then they would reset after I drove it for a while, switched off, then switched back on. Now they're on constantly. I haven't plugged my tester in today, but recently it was saying it was the left rear sensor. Would the hub be so worn at 66,000 miles that it would need replacing???

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention the sensor has apparently been replaced by a PO. It's the long wire type. The old connector is still present near the hub but the wire to the old sensor has been cut off.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Then you should see how the PO made the wiring with the overlay sensor harness... it's a useless complication IMO cos if you buy a new hub it comes with the plug type sensor and then you have to remove that and use the old one or cut the wire.

erase the fault code, see the stationary live inputs cos if the sensor or it's wiring is at fault that input will be different, stationary inputs should be 2 - 2.4V on each sensor...if they are all within the range go for a ride while watching live sensor readings and concentrate on the suspect one.

lift the suspect side on a jack and jiggle the wheel by grabbing it at 12 - 6 and 3 - 9 o'clock to see if there's any play and if it is go for a new hub

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.