Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dicovery is at the dealer with issues ranging from gurgling and swishing sound ranging from behind the radio area and under the passenger side floor (with floor boards constantly wet, which had been a complaint of mine for nearly 2 years - supposedly nipples drained once a year to solve the issue - but did not seem to work). Temperature guage fluctuating from Hot to Cold. Fans running for about 5 minutes after shutting vehice off. Antifreeze resevoir supposedly not keeping correct pressure, replaced cap. Antifreeze pressure builds and still overflowed out of the bottle under hood.

In addition, under dealer care, the Check engine light lit, but not blinking, supposedly 3 codes from engine resulting in possibility of a valve job? Light illuminated once in May 2005, same codes, recommended to use Chevron Techron. Light was reset by dealer in May. Seemed to run well since then without light illuminated until dealer had vehicle in October 2005. Check engine light re-illuminated, dealer claims need valve job. NOW, seems to need a replacement sleeve? What is a sleeve, the cost, do they usally go with a 1997 Disco with 69,000 miles. Recommendations/Suggestions about entire situation? Need more details/info email me, and will be hapy to provide detailed info. Has all its scheduled maintnance.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
definitely sounds like a headgasket or sleeve problem. WHen it pushes the coolant out that means its got a bubble.

tell me did the vehicle act normal when you let it heat up slowly. ANd then overheat when you just started up and drove off?

·
Registered
720 Posts
LRXD - you had better get another opinion about these' issues'. Taking the heads off your engine and doing a valve job is expensive (around $600 to $700 if you do labour yourself but farm out the valve job to a good machine shop). I don't know what nipples you are talking about - if you are refering to the cylinder sleaves that are in the aluminum block, and these are no longer properly in place, then the engine is finished. Just get another engine.... But be very careful about believing any dealer diagnosis - they are in business only to make money.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
Sorry about that but I believe the guy was referring to the sleeve as the valve seats.

NOt the wet sleeves on the cylinders.

But I take it in for a second opinion just to be sure.

The codes more then likely are valve problems but it wont cause overheating.

A component loosing coolant will cause that.

For example a bad heater core, bad thermostat. or low on coolant due to something else leaking.

the valve problems will be evident by misfires on the same cylinders regardless of coolant loss. well unless coolant is spilling into that cylinder from a really bad leaking coolant gasket but that will be evident by oil in the coolant. Very unlikely.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, I will keep you all up to date, if anything else comes to mind please let me know. It's all on hold at the moment due to the upcoming holiday and schedules of the shops til first thing next week. I guess it's a race against time to find some answers.

Keep in touch all...and thanks again for sticking with me on this one.

LRXD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.