Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have my engine torn down to the block to do head gaskets after they blew on me. I figured while I was in there, I should replace as much as I can, so I took the front cover off to do the oil pump, which is a known problem on the 03 D2s. My oil pump is fine (I will be replacing it anyway), but I was having a look at the timing chain and noticed it was quite sloppy and has a lot of play in it. Being that there is no tensioner, I expect some play, but it seems excessive to me. The engine has 118k on it. Normally I would just do it, as the parts are cheap enough, but I’ve never done a timing job before and have none of the specialized equipment to do it. Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
very disco
2,068 Posts
I cannot say with certainty but I think I recall 1/2” in either direction in the middle?

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
Yes that is excessive play.
In your video you can actually see the cam gear move.
That’s a sure indication it too loose

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright. Looks like I will be replacing the chain. Thanks. Should I also replace the gears while I’m at it?

·
Premium Member
2001 Discovery Series II SE7, w/SAI and without SAI
390 Posts
Yeah, replace them too.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
65 Posts
I currently have my engine torn down to the block to do head gaskets after they blew on me. I figured while I was in there, I should replace as much as I can, so I took the front cover off to do the oil pump, which is a known problem on the 03 D2s. My oil pump is fine (I will be replacing it anyway), but I was having a look at the timing chain and noticed it was quite sloppy and has a lot of play in it. Being that there is no tensioner, I expect some play, but it seems excessive to me. The engine has 118k on it. Normally I would just do it, as the parts are cheap enough, but I’ve never done a timing job before and have none of the specialized equipment to do it. Thanks in advance for the advice.
You dont need any special equipment to change the timing chain at all. just line up the timing marks on the gears. then take them off. Put the new gears and chain on and line up the marks.thats it.. your looks a bit lose but a double roller chain will be tighter and stronger. not critical though unless your a heavy footed driver. The gears each have a mark on them the crank gear mark goes up, the timing gear mark points down to the crank gear mark. thats it. always replace the timing chain and gears as a set!

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I just had a look at the RAVE and it seems quite simple - way easier than I expected. I've ordered new gears and a new chain and it will be here tomorrow, so I will be doing it then. Thanks for the advice everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts