Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
'93 White LWB, 235/85R16, 2" OME, Bottorf bumper,
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have my driver's "door card" removed to replace the exterior door handle that snapped off, I'm fixing the rattles from the myriad linkage in their, and have removed the window lift motor to investigate....

My driver's door window has been SLOOWWWWW going UP for a while now, to the point that I'm afraid to use it for fear that it won't go up again. Seems to lower quite easily, though.

Of these 3 things, which is most likely:

1. Worn-out motor. I suppose if it was drawing too much current it would blow a fuse, but could the internals be getting gunked up or sticky? Motor/gearbox unit does NOT look like it's easily user-serviceable.

2. Low voltage or current supply to the motor

3. Binding mechanism/rollers/pivots. Can't see an easy way to lube the pivots or rollers without removing the assy. Ugh.

I DID take an easy route and bought a replacement motor on Ebay, but who's to say that same '93-vintage motor isn't tired also.....

I can bench-test the motor with a 12V source, but what will that tell me?

Same performance problems with the driver's REAR door, also.

·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump?

I checked the voltage at the window motor plug with the engine running, it was over 14V so I can't imagine my slow windows are a switch issue.

I installed the replacement motor.....same slow window going up. Is there a way to bench-test a motor? Maybe my replacement is also weak.

Next: check binding in the whole lift system. The shop manual makes it look like a pretty straightforward operation to remove the regulator and glass. Has anybody found the window or mechanism itself to be binding?

·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured it out my OWNself...

I went ahead and wrassled the regulator mechanism out of the door. The sliders were really sticky inside their channels, so I cleaned out the sticky grease and re-lubed them with light grease. But the real problem was the regulator pivot for the large gear section, where the spiral spring is mounted. I put the regulator assy in a vise, clamped at the motor mount. I could BARELY move the main arm by pulling as hard as I could! So I soaked the pivot in penetrating oil and silicone lube and freed it so it could swing freely, put it all back together, and voila! The window zipped up and down!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for posting your update! I just picked up an '88 RRC and all 4 windows barely move. I suspect my fix will need to be similar to yours... so very helpful.

I saw your other post too about wet floorboards, and again I have the same problem. I've only had a few minutes so far to investigate, but the water appears to entering high in the footwell area. At some point I will be pulling the cowl to see whats under there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.