Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
G4 Mike
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small coolant leak some where on the front lower left of my engine on my 2004 Disco G4 which has 56,000 on it. I took a few pictures but it's hard to get down in there. It's not my throttle body heater, I have repaired that before and checked it again today. It doesn't seem to be the water pump as I reached in and around the pulley and pump and they seem to be dry and from below it doesn't seem to be the source. Belt and other pulleys are dry, no indication of hoses leaking. Could it be a gasket between the engine block and water pump. According to my scan gauge II the coolant temps are 188 F when driving steady 193 F at the stop lights.

In the second picture just below the power steering pulley and the power steering connection is where I find the most moisture. The truck has been sitting since Friday.

Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_20200216_153251993.jpg
IMG_20200216_153054190.jpg
IMG_20200216_153038278.jpg

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Are you sure that it is not leaking at the nipple on the front left corner of the radiator?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Not to belabor the point but you might run the engine up to temperature and look again with it running and hot.

·
G4 Mike
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to belabor the point but you might run the engine up to temperature and look again with it running and hot.
Good idea. I think my friend also has a pressurizing tool if we can fit it to the tank.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The cooling system pressure testing kit you can "rent" from AutoZone for $0 net works well. Use adapter #5.

·
1,800 Posts
Are you using a 180F thermostat? Those are great temps. 188F running and 193F at stop lights. Does it ever get up to 198F or 200F at long idling stops?
Dave

·
Drives like an old man
398 Posts
In winter, mine never reaches 190F. In summer, around town it's about 195 on average. At freeway speeds, it'll reach 210-215, but never hotter. If I slow down, the temps come right down as well. I live in the high desert, so YMMV.

·
G4 Mike
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you using a 180F thermostat? Those are great temps. 188F running and 193F at stop lights. Does it ever get up to 198F or 200F at long idling stops?
Dave
Yes, running a Land Rover 180 F thermostat with Peak long life anti freeze mixed with Walmart distilled water. It does get to 197 F sometimes when idling for a long time. It's about 20 to 60 F this time of year in Tulsa. I think when it's close to 100 F it gets to 200 F.

·
1,800 Posts
Yes, running a Land Rover 180 F thermostat with Peak long life anti freeze mixed with Walmart distilled water. It does get to 197 F sometimes when idling for a long time. It's about 20 to 60 F this time of year in Tulsa. I think when it's close to 100 F it gets to 200 F.
In PR the red lights last forever, so at long idles the temp reads at 198F to 200F with AC on. It's always about 86F there plus humidity. Making sure mine was not running hot at 198-200F on long idles. On there slow freeways 45mph my readings are 186-190F. Super slow 190-193F, short idles 195-198F
Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Mike - what did you find out on this? The only place I know it can leak behind/around the P/S pump is from the head gasket there?

·
G4 Mike
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I pressurized the system with a kit from O'Reilly's and got a drip from the far left gasket at the bolt between the pump and engine cover. I sprayed it down with carb cleaner and brake cleaner and wiped the area down. I pressurized the system again but could not get a drip. I've been running it and watched it for days. Dry as a bone. Not sure if I forced crud into the leak or the cleaners swelled the gasket up or what but still dry as a bone and no puddle under the Disco anymore nor is the coolant level dropping. I know its very unLand Rover of my Disco not to leak but it seems to have healed itself. Needless to say I am monitoring it closely.

·
very disco
1,178 Posts
Self healers are the worst. You learn nothing and never know when to expect it back.

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
Intake gasket is metal and highly unlikely to “self heal” take a good look at the front timing cover, I have had them leak and appear to be intake/head area.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Hmmm, I'm kinda lost on which gasket you are talking about. Clearly Red thinks its the Intake Gasket but I was picturing the water pump / front cover bolt once you said far left - but then remembered you started at the p/s pump and left meant from the Driver's side....so now I've confused myself.

·
G4 Mike
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm, I'm kinda lost on which gasket you are talking about. Clearly Red thinks its the Intake Gasket but I was picturing the water pump / front cover bolt once you said far left - but then remembered you started at the p/s pump and left meant from the Driver's side....so now I've confused myself.
Yes the gasket between the pump and front cover. Far left end of the pump, as you say the side where the power steering pump is. Saturday is supposed to be nice, I'll take a good look at it again.

·
G4 Mike
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes the gasket between the pump and front cover. Far left end of the pump, as you say the side where the power steering pump is. Saturday is supposed to be nice, I'll take a good look at it again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts