Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read with interest the thread regarding 18" wheels and agree that the thin sidewalls are not really a good idea for off road. However, I am looking for a decent set of snow tires for a 2003 freelander and would appreciate any suggestions (Cooper, etc.). The car came with 17" rims, and I could use these or go with a 15" or 16" rim (?). My other concern is ground clearance, so the overall diamter should be at least what's there now (225/55/R17). I think the next tallest increases the height by about 4 inches or so, which may have a tendency to gear it too high (?). Any thoughts would be appreciated.....

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
We install alot of Nokia Snow tires for both Jags and LR and they do quite well.

you will need to replace all four if you want snow tires though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do a search on www.tirerack.com for snows for 17" rims. I don't think there is much there. The Pirelli all season tires in 225/55-17 are rated better for snow than the Synchrones and are cheaper.

If you want to go to 16" rims then a lot of options open up. Most of the Freelander owners who drive in the Sierras swear by BFG TA/KOs which are also good off-road tires. You can get them in 225/70-16 and use them successfully on the Freelander without a lift. They also give you about 1/2" of lift over the Synchrones. The next size up is 225/75-16 but without a lift you will get some rubbing. Also they are 29" tires so the loss of torque to the ground is about 8% - probably more than you want.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts