Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Mod. --- I'm watching you
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So how did you wire your roof light? Pic's added!

I just wired up my rear lights. I haven't received the front and I most likely won't have them before my trip but the rears came out sweet. :buttrock:

Ok so I took the pictures today. Here they are, and just keep in mind I wasn't using a tri-pod so they could have been a little clearer, but here they are:
From the front:

From the back:

The lights themselves:

I made the custom brackets out of Aluminum so I would have to worry about rush but I forgot to use primer them in a hurry to mount them so I need to repaint them but I'll do that once I get back from my trip and get the front lights:

As for wiring I ran all the wiring though the rack itself, for 2 reasons: 1) to protect the wiring, and 2) Because I need the wiring to be clean... OCD ya know ;) As for the power for them I installed a secondary fuse block under the hood for all my accessory add-on's I'll be doing over the next few months. Its wire with a relay so that the truck must be on for the to work but the power isn't coming from the underdash fuse block. I made the bracket from 1/4inch black plexiglass to keep it from rusting under the hood, plus its just easier to work with compared to the aluminum:

For the switch I had to use a cheap POS switch dremelled into the stock blank but I'll be installing a LR stock AUX switch later on. I placed an order but they where on back order so I hope to have that once I get back from vacation too...

Its a work in progress... :clap:

But I would love to see how you guys/girls have wired your lights and how you got the wiring into your trucks.
So post them pictures :clap: :drink1:

319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cellulararrest said:
just out of curiosity, how did you get the wires from the rack to under the hood? Did I miss that in the pictures. It looks so clean! I love it.
All the wiring, the splicing and soldering is inside the rack itself ;)

Then I have 1 set of wire exit the rack right above the drivers door, here's a pic:

I hate loose wires hanging from racks or having the wiring just zip-tied to the rack itself. Its to messy for me and my OCD ;)

I was thinking about buying a rack and retrofitting it with wiring for front and rear lights. Is anyone interested in that?

319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hehe It runs down the outside of the A-piller under the windshield side cover(super pain in the ass to take that cover off). From there it run down under the hood through a grommet into the engine by under the master brake cylinder through another grommet in the firewall and into the dash.
I heat shunk all the wiring to protect it from the weather. From the lights in the back to the firewall inside the cabin. I also sealed the holes I drilled into the rack with black sealant.

4,346 Posts
Very Very!!! Nice!! I like your attention to detail John! You and I would be a terrible terrible team to work on our trucks..lol..I too am anal about small stuff, like loose wiring for example. Very nice set up...if you could please take a picture, without flash, of those things on in the dark I'd really appreciate it. I too will be buying a rack soon and would need some rear work lamps. Wouldn't want to be blinded..lol.

319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll run out side and take a couple of quick pic's for ya.

319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not exactly sure where the tripod is so a few aren't as clear as I would like ;)

I used them on our trip for setting up camp at night. They worked great!

Oh ya they also work great for tailgaters...if I don't have the lens protectors on... :D

319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mounted them this way so I could have two lights and not have them be mounted directly in the way of the ladder. With them mounted like this keeps them low and out of the way.

319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought I bought them for about $35-40 bucks off ebay.

319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love an yet hate Ebay... I can't even by the stuff that cheap through my company... kinda crazy but hey, its 2005 you can find everything on the internet...

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
That was an awsome job.... great detail. it's always nice seeing someone respect their vehicle

319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ibjettin said:
Those look great! Your install is very clean! I'm the same way with wires...hate em'

Great job! :drink1: thanks for sharing the info

Are you going to add some to the front as well?

Thanks guys!

Yeah I'll be getting some for the front. I can't decide if I want to use the same style or get something like the 4000 series. I kinda like the low profile look of these... plus if I break one its cheap to replace. ;)

Winter is coming and I want them before the snow flies though so I'll most likely end up with the same ones for the front because I need to save the cash because my wife has been hunting for a new house :confused ...great... moving again... oh goodie :dunno:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.