Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my first LR3 on Saturday. 2008 with 70K miles. It is in perfect condition, with the exception of tight steering (lower steering shaft U-Joint?). and the fact that when they swapped the wheels they forgot to replace my spare, so I will be making a trip back down to get it. I bought this for my wife for her daily driving. She promptly named it "Cordelia" after her tour guide in London, since the Sat Nav has British accent.

I will be picking up a set of 18" wheels with more aggressive tires for our off-road excursions. Next purchase in the next week or so is a Disco II for my 15 year old so he will have a ride for his 16th birthday. It will be my turn soon :crying

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
20's and yes Originals. Personally I HATE them!! a little ghettolicious for me. I wanted her to get the 18" so I could slap some meats on it. But, hey, it's not my ride.

Now to fix the steering issue. Gonna check the lower steering shaft and flush the steering fluid. I don't think it is a pump issue , no whine, not grinding. It is stiff and has its "easier spots" and acts like something is binding up. There is ZERO slack in the rack so, again this all leads me to gummed up U-JOINT on lower shaft. Has anybody else had this issue or have any ideas? I PM'd DiscoMike for his input, just haven't heard back yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Disco Mike doesn't know $hit about the LR3. Yes I've had that issue and yes it's most likely the U-Joint. People have lubed it with limited success; R&R is the best bet; it's not terribly expensive.
Thanks.....I soaked it in CRC white lithium spray last night and it freed it up a scosche. I think WD40 will penetrate better and break up the rust. I will replace this within the month, when time allows. First projects are to clean injectors before they get nasty, flush oils and fluids and replace with Royal purple, including transfer case and diffs. You know the easy stuff. I know it is about due for control arms, but there are no symptoms indicating need for replacement. And Oh my G.O.S.H., I dread the tranny filter and fluid job whenever that comes (when is this recommended?), these will need to be done at a shop as I don't have a lift. The rest I should be able to handle in my garage. Since this is my first LR3/4, is there anything I am missing?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wd-40 worked wonders on the steering. Whole new truck now.

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
Wd-40 worked wonders on the steering. Whole new truck now.

Well that was easy!

Tranny is lifetime fill (ha ha ha). 75k miles is the going interval. Something to think about when it comes to the tranny fluid. The ZF 6HP26 transmission used in the LR3 was also used by Ford in the 2005-08 Lincoln Navigator. You can buy the fluid through your Ford dealership or online far cheaper than the Land Rover branded fluid.

Mercon SP ~ $7.50 a quart
Land Rover fluid (ZF Lifeguard 6) ~ $24 a quart

Amazon sells it by the case for $90 with free shipping ($7.50 a quart).

People wonder why the big difference in price for the two brands of fluids. I figure it's based on clientele and what they'll pay. People buying Land Rovers typically have more disposable income than those buying Ford products. Their 'premium' vehicle should have 'premium' parts with 'premium' prices. Ford could never get away with charging so much for fluids.

I dealt with the same thing with GM fluids. My LR3 had the locking rear diff. It requires a special diff fluid for carbon clutches made by Castrol named SAF Carbon Mod Plus. It's only for sale overseas - I never found a US source. The Pontiac G8 with limited slip used the exact same Castrol diff fluid. You could buy the GM branded AC Delco fluid for a fraction of the $50 per quart Land Rover wants, which is what I did.

Colin

·
Registered
32 Posts
I replaced my front control arms this past summer ('06 LR3 at ~115k) but they had needed it for awhile. Pretty easy symptoms to diagnose as it was clunking in the front as soon as I took it off-road. The bushings were shot. Not too bad of a job DIY.

As for the tranny fluid change, I wanted to DIY myself and do the metal pan adaption, but didn't have the time and ended up ponying up the $$. Figured it was best to get it done than continue to delay thinking that I would find the time.

Wes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stare down...Mom's new to her LR3 and my kid's new to him D2

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.