Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people. Just found your wonderful forum and have a couple of questions. Firstly- I found the car of my dreams (94 110 2 door wagon) and 2ndly - My mates are trying to talk me into a Toyota land cruiser. I am in Newcastle NSW Australia and need a bigger vehicle for work and play. I work as a camera man and have a fair bit of gear to transport from time to time. Is there anything i should look out for on this type of car, oopps Truck! Anty help would be great. By the way I am going to get the NRMA ( AA, RAC) to have a good look at it, but as my cruser mates have rightly said... those car test guys test all cars not just landys ...The next few days are the decider.
Thanks in advance.
Ps Im a Scot living here in Aus and have a fondness for the landy
Crajo

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Here in the states, Santa Barbara, Ca., 110's are worth their weight in gold. The few nice ones out there sell for $60,000 US.
I own a 99D2, which I love, but I always wanted to get a 110 fix it up like new and never sell it, just pass it through my kids.
A 110, especially is a work horse that I believe will out last any Toyota.
That is just my option though,
Good luck, Mike J.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
4wd Monthly just did a comparison on the troopie to the 110 not a bad comparision a bit one sided to toyota but not a bad read. I find the biggest advantage to the lr be it a 110 or 130 is the straight pannels none of this plasstic on the outside and the tough as guts underneath . I have droped it on it's side in thick smelly rotten arse mud hung it on rocks and driven it through thick shrubs. (I do believe in tred lightly just some times the track closes in on you) Scratches are minimal from shrubs and after the tip on the side there was a scratch or two no crushed pannels and the under side looks almost as good as the day I picked it up just an extra dent or two. The gearing is great and low the engine goes and goes and compared to the landcruser your fuel bill (km/l) will leave you with more money in the bank for :beer: . . Parts for the year that you are talking about can be gotten through supercheap or repco so you don't need to worry about the dealer for all your parts which is a luxury that td5 owners here in Aus don't get. The other advantage in Newcastle is that you are close to the sea and a landy is made of aluminium just be careful of the chasie. LR's 90's 110 and 130 are great with a capital G you just have to put up with a few water leaks every now and than and something that is bound to rattel and annoy the sh%^ out of you but it gives you something to do when your not driving. Any way my bit said.
Adam

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips.
Did i mention that @ the moment i am driving a soft top zuk which has served me so well in the last year and half that i am a bit supprised and i have pulled out so many big 4bes on the beach it so so funny. If i could afford a new 90 then i probably would, but i aint? boo hoo! so it leaves me with this nice 110 thats taken my eye. My main concern is.... What is lag time? A bloke at the landy spare shop up here says the110 has this as a wee problem and..... its got heaps of kms on it, say 230.000k [email protected]#$%^ if i can get the dealer to do a new timing chain and that lag time thingy and the car checks out with the NRMA and the landy dealer takes it for a spin to let me know if shes alright then it looks like its charecter building landy time! again keep all those replies coming
regards
Crajo

·
Registered
76 Posts
Go for the 110, it might be draughty leaky noisy and slightly tempermental to name but a few of its "quirks" but these all add to their character, which cannot be matched by any other 4x4 ever produced. Go for it, you wont be dissapointed

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can I convince you on a 110.
Well I owned the model you are looking at. And had it for 5 years.
A great driving car. You accellarate into corners and it holds the road like glue. You can't rush out to overtake but get some run-up and she'll do the job. Built like a brick . Great off-road. Best place for it. Holds plenty of cargo and no bloody carpets. Plenty of the other sex drive them up here in the north. How they manage that clutch is beyond me.
Now did I have problems, I am afraid so. But sometimes they were of my own making and also some pretty poor service and advice from Land Rover
Parts could be a problem off the beaten track. Example: new part can take up to 10 working days from UK if out of stock locally. Toyos don't have this problem. [I think] Best to build up a few parts to be on the safe side, but funny ,thems the ones you never need.
Wish I still had it but I now have a Disco 2 and can't have the best of both worlds
You sound like you are going down the right path. There should be a Landie club in your area which can give you some local advice.
Best of luck, Lomo

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would need more info about the truck before suggesting it. I'm assuming it's a 200TDI so it should be OK with that mileage but you can have the compression checked. The Toyota is a good 4x4 but Defenders are still the best by far.

I have an ex-mod 110 with a 2.5NA diesel. It's slow, loud, underpowered and drafty, but it's still the best truck of this size I've ever owned.

Where I live parts are impossible to get locally but the post service is fine and I can get parts out of the UK in a week or sooner if needed. I've also collected spares and have found many North American compatable parts, so it's not too bad at all.

One thing to consider is how much work you are willing to do yourself. 110's require maintenance but are super simple and easey to work on. If you don't like getting grease under your finger nails and can't pay someone else to do the work, stay away from the Defenders. If you do like working on your vehicles then you'll love the 110; every acces you could think of is made for these and they're a joy to tinker with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i know that in OZ thew toyota landcruiser is popular and relatively cheap .
they are quite thirsty on fuel i know that much and they do suffer many electrical problems with the wiring underneath the vehicle, especially near to the exhaust .

the best way to determine whether to buy a landrover or landcruiser is to try towing a trailer with them , youll find that the landcruiser will go all over the road, but the landy 110 will be nice and steady .

if the landcruiser has the wider tyres , i found they tend to feel like they are floating left to right on the road , it just doesnt feel like its a solid vehicle when driving it .

the big major problem with landcruisers is that the swivel housing "chrome balls" on the front axle do not unbolt to enable replacement , they are welded in place , hence they leak lots of oil after a while and you cant do much about it because new seals dont have much effect .

the other major problem with landcruisers is the wheelnuts , or trying to remove them after some time , the wheelstuds are only about 10mm diameter and snap off easily due to them corroding .
even by using copperslip on the threads they will become stuck in place rendering removal an iffy task .

if youre talking of turbo lag then it really takes some full throttle action in order to get the landcruiser moving .

depending on how you have the injector pump setup will depend on how the landrover performs, if the fuel delivery is fairly high then it will go like stink, but if you lean it off then it will slow up a bit but be more economical .

i have not had any bad thoughts regarding power output from a 300tdi or 200tdi engine , they pull and pull and quite often you can just leave them in 5th gear and keep on moving from speeds of 30mph upwards .

i dont have a problem with the landcruiser, but its not really an off road vehicle as is the landrover , there is a definate comfort difference between the two .

landcruiser is more car derived whereas landrover is more off road derived .

landcruiser has a huge heater system , but in OZ youd not need that much .
landrover 300tdi engine doesnt get very hot over here in england , good for hot climates .

youre choice really but the landy is built to take knocks .

·
Registered
843 Posts
Wot! you need persuading??? :D

I have a D90 up here in gloriously wet and windy (Bangor) North Wales, it is a 92 200tdi and does not leak, goes like stink, and very rarely breaks down.

The only problem with it is that it is not a 110!

do it ya know you want to! why be a sheep and follow when you can be different and show them friends of yours who has the best 4x4xfar (a bit corney I know but you know what I mean).

Cheers

Geobloke

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks fellas

Great feed back. I have been hummering! and toyotaing over it over the last week and yes i am quite keen on getting the landy. The [email protected]#$%^G dealer is shafting me with mega high interest although he said the rate would be 11.9 % and suddenly it upto " The high Teens" they mean 19.99 % so it really boils down to the buggers doing the right thing??? Anyway enough about that. Does the timing chain need replacing at 230.000 kms?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That would not have a chain, but a belt, and yes, have it changed, if not by the dealer as part of the deal, the moment you drive off his lot.

I couldn't agree more with all who tell you to buy it. You will love it and hate it, alternatively, forever, but you won't own anything ealse, least of all a Toyota, that will reward you so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in South Africa, we have a magazine that rates all 4x4`s on a scale from 1 to 5.
Only 3 vehicles qualify for a 5 rating.They are the Nissan Patrol,the Toyota Land Cruiser and yes you guessed, THE DEFENDER, a vehcle costing 60% less than its rivals.I might also add,and correct me if need be, of all the landy`s built since 1948,
i believe 75% of them are still running.Have any of you guy`s seen any 1955 Cruisers lately??????????

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not too much of a tech/mech guy. but I had a Mercedes G (great), I drove Leopard II battle tanks in the army, I drove 2 Discoveries, but there ain't today for me a better vehicle than :drive:ing a Defender 110. fully equiped to resist. if the machine is properly serviced its similar to computers 90 % of errors originate between the human and the machine...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts