Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These pictures are from an event in August, but I've only just got around to taking them off the camera and then putting them onto the website. etc. etc.

It's at a place called Brick Kiln Farm in Hampshire, and it was a pay-and-play day run by the Shire Land Rover Club.

Highlight of the day for me was this watersplash- I must have driven through it about 20 times over the course of the day!

There was the usual fare of ruts, corrugations, side slopes and axle-twisters as well:

The reallu hard-core goings on were in some dense woodland that made up most of the site. This was tricky stuff- clay soil, waterholes, slippery slopes and deep ruts. This was modified Defender and Range Rover territory (with a few Suzukis chucked in, but we don't talk about them), but it there were a couple of guys in stock Series IIIs giving them a workout, and doing rather better than most of the Range Rovers, I must say :)

I did have a go at some of the holes in my SIII, and it actually managed to get up one of the slopes unaided after several attempts. I tried another hole, promptely got stuck in the muddy/clay/soil/water mix at the bottom and had to flag down a nearby vehicle to winch me out. No pictures of that- I was too busy being hauled up a near vertical slope on a wire. It was seriously slippery in the woods- you couldn't easily walk around- it was easier to go by 4x4.

Top Machine of The Day belonged to the Chairman of the Club, with 'Bertha', his crew-cab Range Rover, fitted with a 1" lift, uprated suspension, a 3.9 Efi engine and almost every accessory known to the Land Rover world.

As always with these events, the atmosphere was terrific- much of the time was spent out of the Landy just watching others drive (or get stuck). I never cease to be amazed at the capability of standard Land Rovers- and the full range was there- stock SIIIs, modded SIIIs, grotty diesel One Ten HiCaps, stock Range Rovers, seriously modded Range Rovers, a 2-week old Defender 90 XS Station Wagon, 100-inch hybrids etc. etc. etc.

I was (again) impressed with my own Landy. Being a totally standard diesel Station Wagon, you'd expect its low power, low torque, high weight to put it at a disadvantage. However, only got stuck the once, and that was down to its wimpy tyres. It never missed a beat all day, and that was with 6 hours of continuous running and off-road use. BEST 4X4XFAR :buttrock:

Enjoy

Jack

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Sweet photos.. I love them... Those old rovers are sweet...

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Jogg44-What is it with series vehicles and the losing of mudflaps when you go offroad??? I swear I lose the left side flap every other time.I looked at your pics and saw the same one off of yours. Did you do it on the day??? Anyway...great pics!!!!! Just curious as I am on my 3rd or 4th set this year.....oh well! :shifty: :drink1:

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know exactly what you mean! Every other Series Landy I see has a rear mudflap missing.

I didn't lose it that day, I lost it at another event earlier in the year.

It seems to happen whenever you have to reverse up a reasonably steep slope- the angle means that the mudflap just about gets caught in a wheel. Defenders seem to have slightly shorter flaps, and don't have the problem.

About a month ago I bought a full set (front and rear) and very smart it looks too. Two days after fitting them I went off-roading and had to be recovered, up a hill, backwards! :shifty: I spent the whole time running around checking the mudflaps were still there- all the other LR owners thought this was ridiculous!

I suppose trimming a half-inch off the bottom would stop this happening. I debated whether to replace the flaps if I was going to keep losing them, but I think they make the Landy look 'neater', and no Landy is complete if it's not driving along at 50 mph with the rear mudflaps flying out behind it!

Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.