Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys... help me out here with a few questions I have. The vehicle in question is a 1995 Range Rover Classic LWB, 4.2 engine.

1. How much time and effort is it to change all the radiator hoses?

2. My seat heaters don't work. Anyone know if this is a common failure? How to diagnose? How much to fix?

3. I have a set of Hella Rallye 1000's to replace the stock Hella driving lamps that are mounted on top of the bumper. I plan to run 100 watt bulbs. Are the stock lights on a relay? I think so, but not sure..

Rover is in the shop getting new motor mounts at the moment. If anyone can help with these questions, I would appreciate it.

thanks!

Serg :drive:

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
I bet you could changed all the radiator hoses in a couple of hours. I did not include the ones to the heater core.

Seat heaters.
You have to pull the seats out to work on them. If both of them are failed look for the obvious fuse first and then you have to repair the broken wire, where ever it is. I understand it is a common failure. Only my passenger side works.

Don't know about the head lamps, sorry.

·
Registered
674 Posts
1. Dunno - I paid to have it done

2. MY seat heater only works on the pass side. I did away with the need for them by buying sheepskin seat covers - it also preserves the seats as well as warmth in winter and cool in summer - but if you want to repair them to working condition you will need to pull the entire seat off....pain in the #$$

3. I ran Hella Rallye 4000 black magics on mine through a new relay - the other thing you can do is use the plugs when you removed the airdam and driving lights down below - then you can use the internal dash switch!

GOOD LUCK!

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We don't need no stinkin seat heaters.... :D

Not worth the effort to fix, it sounds like..

Thanks guys!

Serg

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had seat heaters in my Audi quattro the year-and-a-half that we lived in Tahoe. I did not care for them too much, but my wife loved them. I liked that they were independently adjustable, unlike my mother-in-laws Volvo which just had one on/off switch for both seats.
I don't need them here.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rover just came back from the shop with new motor mounts..

Now all I need to do is change all the water hoses and some oil cooler lines and I am set... man, I am too lazy. I used to think:

"Why would I pay someone else to do something I can do?" :dunno:

Now I think:
"Why would I do something I can pay someone else to do?" :clap:

That applies to suck ass jobs only.. not fun stuff :D

Serg

·
Registered
12 Posts
How long it takes to replace your hoses depends on what tools you've got handy, and how "bad" your old hoses/connections are. If the hoses are still in somewhat good shape, and don't have bad corrosion around the rubber/aluminum junction, they slide right off and new ones side right one. You can do the whole engine in an hour.

If your hoses are the ORIGINALS, and they've got crud buildup around the aluminum, then you'll have to clean the "crud" off before you can get a good seal on the new hoses. It can take HOURS, depending on how bad the crud is, which connections are the "cruddiest" (access to scrapers, dremel, sandpaper, etc), and how thick the crud is. It can take ALL DAY.

In response to letting some mechanic do it for you....you have to "trust" the mechanic to do it RIGHT. To remove all the crud so you get a good seal on the new hose. If there's a hard to get to section that's really dirty, he might just say "screw it" and not clean it off properly (then again, a owner might do the same, trying to get the job done quick).

You'll get out of it what you put into it. Do it right, and the connections will be leak free for a long time. Do it quick and leave the crud, and the hoses will weep after they heat cycle a few times. :shifty:

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My hoses ARE original. My local Land Rover mechanic, who I totally trust, quoted me $450 for all the hoses, and the water pump and belt installed. I think it will be easier to let him do it.

Serg

·
Registered
489 Posts
Watch out with 100w lights...The stock wiring harness is set to handle only 55w. My 92 RR County has Hella 3000's on the front; flip the switch with the headlights and the amber fogs on, and you can literally stall the car when its idling low! You may hear a light squeal which sounds like power steering-its actually the alternator! If you want high-power lights, best to just wire in a new harness and switch (fairly easy) Mine are turned on with the factory switch; there is a low amperage connection between the in-dash switch and a relay; the relay has a direct high-amp connection to the back of the alternator and on to the Hellas. Yes, unfortunately, seat heaters don't work in mine either--all too common failure. Even in my 95 4.0 SE, the heater only works on one side (the pass side!)

Depending on what year Volvo, it may have either 1 or 2 heating positions.
Our old 1987 760 Turbo Volvo had two heating positions, lo and high. Of course, the Volvo's seat heaters both worked!

In terms of hoses, on my 95 4.0SE there was a factory recall in '97? of all hoses, even the ones in the car related to the cooling system. They were all replaced then. As yours is a 95, do a check? My 92 has all-original hoses, 200k miles, and no leaks except at the thermostat over the valley.

Our 1996 Volvo 960 only had on / off heated seats, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts