Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Defenders go for over $100K in the US because Land Rover stopped selling them here in the US in 1997 because they couldn't re-design them to accept airbags and they only sold a few hundred per year anyway. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze for little Land Rover at the time. Today, there are literally only a handful of running examples on the US market at any given time.
Yes. Land Rover didn't want to spend the money federalizing Defenders anymore as it wasn't worth the investment. Particularly when the market was migrating to a more upscale and comfort oriented mindset.

Today, the only stock(ish) Defenders that go for over $100k are the NAS110's. And honestly, I can't really understand why. They seem to keep trading hands among the rich who shop at ECR and Copley Motors, but they're still the same slow rust buckets as any ROW 110. NAS90's tend to trade from the mid $40's to $60's depending on condition and mileage.

Now that some more "modern" variants meet the 25yr criteria there are certainly more than just a handful over here. Particularly with shops making money resto-modding them.

·
1,783 Posts
toss a supercharger on my LR3 and I would be 100% in love with it :D
maybe its possible to put the 4.2 (07-09) Supercharge RRS engine on the LR3.
Dave

·
VW Dieselgate beneficiary
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Yes. Land Rover didn't want to spend the money federalizing Defenders anymore as it wasn't worth the investment. Particularly when the market was migrating to a more upscale and comfort oriented mindset.

Today, the only stock(ish) Defenders that go for over $100k are the NAS110's. And honestly, I can't really understand why. They seem to keep trading hands among the rich who shop at ECR and Copley Motors, but they're still the same slow rust buckets as any ROW 110. NAS90's tend to trade from the mid $40's to $60's depending on condition and mileage.

Now that some more "modern" variants meet the 25yr criteria there are certainly more than just a handful over here. Particularly with shops making money resto-modding them.
Meant to say there are only a handful of originals for sale at any given time, and the 25-year import / restomod market is still for the 1%ers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Meant to say there are only a handful of originals for sale at any given time, and the 25-year import / restomod market is still for the 1%ers.
Yep. Those restos are stupid expensive.

That said, I've seen imports of Series 3's and Santanas from the 70's and 80's that are in the low to mid 20's, which isn't too crazy. MOD trucks are also pretty attainable. Best bet is to be the second person to buy after the import once the original buyer finds out how slow and leaky Rovers are, lol.

Fortunately, the prices overall aren't doing what FJ's are doing.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
maybe its possible to put the 4.2 (07-09) Supercharge RRS engine on the LR3.
Dave
I keep thinking swap out the upper intake/supercharger, injectors and MAF, lets see how smart the ecu is

I disagree by the way that the 25 year old import scene is for the 1% as I certainly don't meet that category at all and have a import 110. It was a lot less than most would believe.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I keep thinking swap out the upper intake/supercharger, injectors and MAF, lets see how smart the ecu is

I disagree by the way that the 25 year old import scene is for the 1% as I certainly don't meet that category at all and have a import 110. It was a lot less than most would believe.
Most of the 110's that slip through Customs are a lot less than most would believe .. just gander at the prices overseas online..

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
They don't slip through customs you bring them in legally. Bone stock truck that is currently 35 years old.

Do try to keep up on what the rules are for import and stop accusing folks of being criminals

·
Registered
567 Posts
Pretty positive the above ^^^^ is updated as in getting those rovers here is not that big of an issue anymore.

With regard to the Disco 5, after being in one and having the walkthrough with the rep for the promo I am very unimpressed.

Should have known out the gate when I was asked "if I had a LR and if it was older?" By the gent. His response to my answer was "there are 2 types of people, those are have older LR's that really hate it and those that have newer ones that can consider it"

I'm the first, I was not impressed. Now, with regard to safety and horsepower and capability...sure, I'll bite and I'm glad there's an improvement from the company with regard to the brandline.

Personally, I hate the styling. The outside rear does not make sense (not just the license plate area offset). The rear sears being automated and having the promo gent tell me to my face that the LR3-LR4 being able to be manually lowered was "illegal" was also interesting...#knowthebrandyousellplease . I didn't mind the auto seats, just saying.

My main NO-NO was the interior, especially from the drivers perspective. Even a D2 had Kangaroo leather and some Safari styling. Nothing in that D5 screamed or hinted at "Going on Safari"....to me

For that interior fail alone, personally I don't prefer em. Now should I win one at a giveaway, I would try it out more but for that price I could resell it, get a 5.0 LR4 (at least has the Safari feel still), and prob buy Bitcoin for the next wave of bull markets to make cash.

I respect em, just don't want it for the styling. The one I did look at had all black on the interior...if there's an option I'm not seeing I'm def open to discussing

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Nothing says Safari or off road at all. Piddly 4-6 cylinder, interior no different than a Kia. Cookie cutter exterior. I wont believe these can surpass the D 1-3's until I see it. Forget about heavy loads or mods with these weak engines. It's an Indian car. The only good they did was make it more MPG friendly. And that is not the reason people buy Land Rovers, Jeeps or Hummers.

The packaging is fancy. And it's got a Land Rover label. The only thing nice I can think to say - It's better than a Freelander.

·
VW Dieselgate beneficiary
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Nothing says Safari or off road at all. Piddly 4-6 cylinder, interior no different than a Kia. Cookie cutter exterior. I wont believe these can surpass the D 1-3's until I see it. Forget about heavy loads or mods with these weak engines. It's an Indian car. The only good they did was make it more MPG friendly. And that is not the reason people buy Land Rovers, Jeeps or Hummers.

The packaging is fancy. And it's got a Land Rover label. The only thing nice I can think to say - It's better than a Freelander.
OK, so now you're just trolling, because 30 seconds on Google or YouTube will show you you're wrong. Or just take a trip to Moab - Hell's Revenge and Poison Spider in a bone-stock Disco 5, no problem.

Go enjoy your D2 and let those of us who aren't afraid of progress enjoy our D5's. Don't ever buy anything new, ever, because there's clearly nothing that will convince you that you don't already own the pinnacle of automotive engineering.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts