Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need help on this radio installation Been 4 straight days broke up over last 2 weeks new stereo tells me speakers are hooked up wrong I tried everything something wit hte ground I got a wiring harnass from crutchfield and i am still having problems.. What am I doing wrong ANyone got a wiring diagram or can help me there a 3 plugs on factory radio one is power one is speakers and last one in dash controls I need help big time,

thanks Eric :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

· Registered
238 Posts
Hi eric
If you could give me some idea as to in what relation you are looking for a common ground I might be able to help. Is the new head unit telling you that it needs a common ground or it does not need a common ground? Also what type of head unit are you installing? I am not an expert on disco's but I can reason most things out.
Adam

· Registered
86 Posts
Most new stereos need separate + and - leads to the speakers. Your truck has the negative side of the speakers grounded, the stereo won't work that way. You will either have to run new wires to the speakers, or buy an adapter (I bought one at Circuit City) for about $50. The stereo will sound (much) better if you run new speaker wires.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why cant ya just leave the ground wire from the new stereo out if the speakers are grounded they should need just power .. I tried the crutchfield wiring adapter but nuttin we almost got it but not quite there any more help would be great you guys r the best with fixes and would be lost without ya ..

thanks Eric

· Registered
238 Posts
It's not so much as a + - power thing as in voltage speakers work a little differently. A grounded system as in the OEM system works very differently to an non grounded system the new sony unit. Cheaper non grounded units will not reconise that there is a ground issue with the speakers and will just self distruct. To run cabel to the speaker is a matter of pulling cabel through the dash from the head unit to each speaker it can be difficuit or easy one trick to make it simple is to use a coat hanger to push through areas of the dash then pull the cable (attached to the end of the coat hanger) through, run the cabel under any carpet follow existing cabels into the door (remove door trim) and attach to speakers removing old wires first. The firs speaker is always the slowest and the last is alwasy the fastes because you now know what you are doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.