Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the head gaskets were not the problem, after putting together same overheat and blowing coolant out.(did not think there was a HG problem when I first tore it down as gaskets looked good to me.)
Well at the second teardown 4 and 6 pistons were getting very clean and SEL was on for O2 on that bank and combustion gas test showed positive in coolant.
Considered a used low mileage replacement but why put in another poorly designed unit. Been a heavy trk and equipment mechanic since 68 and never saw a sleeved motor more poorly designed to keep combustion gasses where they belong.
I ended up contacting Great Plains Rovers and talked to Mike Billingsley. They offer several rebuilt long motors with flanged cyl liners and 3 year warranty. Price included shipping and the return of core which Mike lets you keep until your swap is done./
Motor in for a week now and runs like a top. My sons Dll has new life.
To anyone who might be considering a motor swap this might be a way for you to go.

·
Super Moderator
2,163 Posts
Good information
What was the price without shipping?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how much shipping was as price negotiated was for a long motor shipping included. I was satisfied with price and after reading many nightmare stories of owners having to have work done by a shop. Up to $12,000.00 for a new motor, did it my self for half that.

Just a bit of what was included in my motor,
reconditioned block w/flanged liners
reconditioned crank
new rocker arms and shafts
reconditioned heads
ARP head studs
new oil p/u
new front cover and oil pump
gaskets to complete motor assy

After checking out cost of a used assy the extra cost for me was worth it as my son will never replace of his Dll.
"Since 1948 Land Rovers making mechanics out of their owners"

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on new motor in sons Dll.
4,000 miles and only one issue and that was not related to the rebuilt motor, motor runs great.
Had the exhaust manifolds ceramic coated to help reduce under hood temps a bit and they did do that but off gases from the coating while running in fouled the upstream O2s after 3 or 4 days.
All has been good since....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Charlie,

I wanted to check and see how that motor was doing. I have a Great Plains rebuild from 2013 that has blown a head gasket. It's still under warranty, but Great Plains looks like it's out of business and I haven't been able to contact Mike Billingsley. You wouldn't happen to have been in touch with him recently, have you?

Thanks,

- Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts