Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started with my wife's text message " Please don't get mad but..." when you see this you just know it's trouble. The bus will only go into 1st/ 3rd/ 5th gear and all the lower gears and reverse are jammed. My Rover guy hopes he can have a look through the top but fears having to go in through the bottom ( labour city ). Any one got any ideas? or give me an idea of how much surgery this might be? The Disco has 110,000 miles and a good service history, I replaced the clutch last year and I feel as though she's on the slippery slope ( the Disco that is, not the wife ). I'm loosing faith lads!

Thanks.
Phoenix
Ireland.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I have some good news and I have some bad news.

The good news is the problem is not likely in the gearbox, but in the remote housing, selector shaft quadrant area, atop the box.
The bad news is that in a Disco, unlike a Defender, you really can't access it well enough to dissassemble through the top of the tunnel. It will very likely require dropping the gearbox/transfer case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Terry,

Had my Rover man fix it, you were right it wasn't the gearbox but a small piece that had sheared on the selector. He fixed it through the top. I've noticed though that the high gears are very loose when in gear i.e. the gear stick can swivel quite easy in position, the lower ones 2/4/R are as per normal. Does this sound ok, otherwise the bus is driving well.

Regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts