Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my son's 2001 DII

He said that after driving for a little bit appox. 20 mins or so the rover is making a sound from the rear passenger side. Said it sounds something like when your brakes start to squeal, but the sound happens when driving at low speed not when applying the brakes. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Only 2 possible things might cause that, a brake caliper sticking or e might be venting gas fumes from his fill cap.

·
Super Moderator
2,161 Posts
Similar noise from mine. Kind of tinny/ almost rattle at slow speeds and more on turns. Havn't tracked it down yet but if mike says I will believe him

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only 2 possible things might cause that, a brake caliper sticking or e might be venting gas fumes from his fill cap.
I was thinking maybe the caliper from what my son told me. Never heard of it coming from gas fumes though.

Could it be the rear hub/bearings?

He said it doesn't do it on short trips, but the happens after he has been driving for a little bit and does it while moving, not braking.

I will look into the caliper this weekend.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If you want some help, PM me your number and lets talk before you look at it.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Similar noise from mine. Kind of tinny/ almost rattle at slow speeds and more on turns. Havn't tracked it down yet but if mike says I will believe him
Have you had your front drive shaft rebuilt or replaced yet? Check your heat shield and also consider a failing cat.

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, he said his like a squealing sound like when your brakes are in need of replacement.

Just heard it as he pulled in a few mins ago. The sound def. is a squealing brake type sound. I am leaning towards a sticking caliber.

·
Super Moderator
2,161 Posts
Have you had your front drive shaft rebuilt or replaced yet? Check your heat shield and also consider a failing cat.
Cat is very recent (3 weeks) shaft has been done 6 months ago. Recently swapped wheels and tires off a 2001 that I bought for parts and noise seemed to surface shortly after that. Rechecked that wheels are tight / re torqued them. Tires are in great shape but a different make front to back.
How critical is equal tire size?
I have seen problems on other vehicles with all wheel drive and un equal tires causing noises / problems

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well just went out put it neutral jacked the rear up and tire moved freely. Took it out drove it around no noise for like 15 mins (thinking what the......) pull onto my road and the noise starts up.

Quickly pull in driveway, put it in neutral, jack up the rear and sure enough the rear pass. side tire will not turn. So sticking caliber it is.

·
Super Moderator
2,161 Posts
Sure sounds like it .

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Cat is very recent (3 weeks) shaft has been done 6 months ago. Recently swapped wheels and tires off a 2001 that I bought for parts and noise seemed to surface shortly after that. Rechecked that wheels are tight / re torqued them. Tires are in great shape but a different make front to back.
How critical is equal tire size?
I have seen problems on other vehicles with all wheel drive and un equal tires causing noises / problems
Real important to run the same size tires, you can get away with a couple with warn tread, but especially if the CDL or T/C engages you can stress the drive train.

·
Super Moderator
2,161 Posts
Tires are the same size and of similar tread wear, 2 michelins on rear and 2 fire stones on front, previously had 4 same near worn out jokahamas on it. No c.d.l. Yet but plan on it soon. Saw a nice install on a d2 using a d1 shifter on the weekend.
Just seems odd that it started just after swapping wheels and tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts