Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· shedlock2000
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know that the sound dampening was improved on RR from 2003 every year till 2006, but I wonder how much quieter the 2006 is than the 2005?

I currently have two Range Rover purchase options:
1) 2005, 169,000km, with higher end trim, a new transmission and a Lubricity 18month warrantee ($12,000)
2) 2006, 125,000km, also with higher end trim from a dealer, slight unknown grating from the front end which dealer says he will warrantee if something fails ($14,000)

The trouble is, the 2005 is 1000 miles away and while I am willing to make the trip, I am hesitant as I am not a Bimmer groupie and the 2003 I drove was very loud compared to my 2006 LR3.

I am attracted by the new transmission and the general interior of the 2005, but the interior is the same on the 2006 -- and it is only up the road! I have driven the 2006, and it was much quieter than the 2003. So much so that if the 2005 is as loud as the 2003 I will be happy to pay extra and get the 2006.

· Registered
47 Posts
I know that the sound dampening was improved from 2003 every year till 2006, but I wonder how much quieter the 2006 is than the 2005?

I currently have two purchase options:
1) 2005, 169,000km, with higher end trim, a new transmission and a Lubricity 18month warrantee ($12,000)
2) 2006, 125,000km, also with higher end trim from a dealer, slight unknown grating from the front end which dealer says he will warrantee if something fails ($14,000)

The trouble is, the 2005 is 1000 miles away and while I am willing to make the trip, I am hesitant as I am not a Bimmer groupie and the 2003 I drove was very loud compared to my 2006 LR3.

I am attracted by the new transmission and the general interior of the 2005, but the interior is the same on the 2006 -- and it is only up the road! I have driven the 2006, and it was much quieter than the 2003. So much so that if the 2005 is as loud as the 2003 I will be happy to pay extra and get the 2006.
In your entire post, you failed to mention WHAT MODEL LAND ROVER you're talking about!! lol

You said "compared to my 06 LR3" so I assume not an LR3.

05-06 was a big fight for the FFRR so I assume you're talking about that.

If so, sound dampening is the least of your concerns. The 06 gained about 30hp (more reliable Jag engine) a 6 speed transmission. Spend some time around the Mk3 forums and you'll realize that the AJ-V8 is a significant upgrade in terms of long-term reliability and cost.

Plus, your '06 has roughly 4 years fewer miles than the '05! That's worth a longer drive and a few extra bucks in the long run.

· shedlock2000
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha!! So I did! Ooops! (I have now fixed the post).

Well, over my recent experience with the Jag engine, I am not certain that it is a better option. I have also had issues with the transmission and its service. Some very grouchy folk over the DiscoWeb forum have criticised my selection of Royal Purple oils for the transmission and transfer box service (though were very quiet when I posted asking questions about oil selection!).

I also hear that the BM unit provides a smoother power supply. What worries me about the '06 is the noise from the front end -- the warrantee is only going to be 6 months, and I don't fancy a front end re-build after that time! It's all a bit moot at the moment as my LR 3 is not selling as quickly as I had hoped.

· Registered
47 Posts
Ha!! So I did! Ooops! (I have now fixed the post).

Well, over my recent experience with the Jag engine, I am not certain that it is a better option. I have also had issues with the transmission and its service. Some very grouchy folk over the DiscoWeb forum have criticised my selection of Royal Purple oils for the transmission and transfer box service (though were very quiet when I posted asking questions about oil selection!).

I also hear that the BM unit provides a smoother power supply. What worries me about the '06 is the noise from the front end -- the warrantee is only going to be 6 months, and I don't fancy a front end re-build after that time! It's all a bit moot at the moment as my LR 3 is not selling as quickly as I had hoped.
Well from my experiences (both BMW and LR) the Jag is a better (and more modern) engine design. The cooling system seems less failure-prone in my experience, you drop the stupid water-cooled alternator that costs $1k, blah blah. The AJ-V8 VVT is also a better design than the VANOS and less prone to NOISY chain/tensioners, leaking solenoids/valves, etc.

Oh and the ZF6HP is a MUCH better transmission with far fewer reported failures.

And wait you put Royal Purple in your ZF transmission? Those things aren't your grandmas 85 Olds with a Turbo 350 in it lol, the specifications and behavior of the fluid to certain temperatures, pressures, and its' associated torque transfer is VERY specific to the design of that individual transmission.

I'm just overall-confused though, you have the option of buying an 05 or 06 for similar prices.. 06 has about 4 years LESS mileage as well, and is basically a generation leap in drivetrain, and you aren't sure which one to buy?! :eek

I will say though, that you've got to guarantee that warranty in writing and read the fine print insuring that it includes all driveline components. Unfortunately it sounds like the 2006 has got the SSM34304 TSB issue regarding a failed front differential. I've had a front and rear differential replaced in my RRS and my LR3 had its rear replaced by previous owner and the front is in the process of failing (not very loud but the fluid indicated bearing/gear failure in progress) - so I can vouch that this TSB is a serious deal. My RRS and LR3 had diffs replaced between 70-80k so that's also indicative of same failure.

I say buy the 06 if you trust the warranty, take it to a certified shop a couple months later so the warranty company doesn't get too concerned, and get them to vouch for a front differential failure (print the TSB, you can also verify if the vehicles VIN range falls into the TSB which should do before buying anyways) - they should swap it out without TOO much drama, however my extended warranty company would only use a re manufactured diff. I could have cared less as long as it worked lol.

· shedlock2000
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi EstoriIM,

Yeah -- the difficulty I'm having is that there are little things with the younger 06 that need attention (cup holder failures, grating front differential, infotainment twitchyness). Admittedly, I have not yet looked at the 05, but I am assure that everything is perfect on it (the photos do seem to support this).

I read a lot online about using Royal Purple before actually using Royal purple! The transmission has their special ZF transmission fluid in it, and the Tcase has their special solenoid friendly oil in it too. I called Royal Purple for data before using their product and followed a lot of Australian users who have also switched to Royal purple. I'm 22,000 miles in without any issues. However, you are the second person to make this observation -- and I'm wondering what data you have to support your concerns? The info I received from the Australian forums provided lots of data on the oils and showed Royal purple to meet or exceed the standards of the OEM oils. But, I do admit to not being a wiz when it comes to oil. I just read a load of forums before making my decision.

I have read about the front diff issues (I believe there was a warrantee fix that ran out a few years back), is this the same issue to which your refer? I don't actually know that there is an issue with the 06, but I've driven all kinds of land rovers for the last 20 years, and there's something up with the front end of this 06 that feels like a semi-intermittent grating from the front drivetrain. I didn't have long to test drive the car -- so I didn't have time to crawl under and check things (not that I'd be able to see much with the belly plate on anyway).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.