Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Prepping for the Ebola Zombie Apocalypse
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys (and gals?)!

My name is MykD and I get respect...oh, wait. (Sorry) This is my introduction:

I have been looking for something to take on beach trips, camping, fishing and other fun stuff like that. Something I could get dirty and not worry about getting stuck if I drove on a sand bar or in the mud when I have to. After thinking for some time that I wanted a jeep and looking for about a month, I came across a Disco online. I ruled it out because of "gas mileage." But as time went on, the amenities of a Disco, and, quite frankly the price tag won me over. Looking at the price difference between a Disco & a Wrangler, I decided to calculate the amount of gas I would have to put in a Disco, and the amount of time it would take to equal the extra $4,000 I was looking to pay for a decent Wrangler. When I realized it would take about 5-7 YEARS for the "bad gas mileage" to equal that extra $4k, I was sold and started looking.

My plan was to buy something with fairly low miles, 99-02, lift it slightly, throw some 32s on it, a ladder, a rack, and an offroad front bumper, turning it into a mildly modified rig that's "a lady in the street but a beast on the trail. :lol: Okay, maybe not a BEAST, but capable. I wanted black, but I found green.

I ended up finding "The Green Machine" in Boston. She's a 99 Disco 2 with 87,000 miles. She was already lifted with a 2" Old Man Emu lift (from what I was told) some All Terrain 32's (I think), the rack, ladder, and driving lights on a beefy offroad front bumper that I have yet to identify. That's the good.

The bad is that my fiancee threw a fit when I told her I was flying to Boston to look at a truck right before our vacation in Destin and driving it back. So I paid a drive-away service and bought it after asking "all the right questions."

Well, I got her two nights ago and it's not EXACTLY what I was promised. The interior is clean with some minor wear on the driver's door but the AC blows hot and the drivers seat won't move forward. The passenger side front shock is mushy and needs replacing, the rear brakes are squealing and one of the center caps and mud flaps are missing. There is also some rust underneath on some of the suspension components and one spot under the powder coat behind the front passenger window. Lastly the ABS light, "hill indicator" (I know, that's not what it's called, but I haven't even had time to look it up) light and something else is on.

Here's a link of a pic I can't figure out how to embed.

At the end of the day, I paid retail for a rig that I thought was in better shape than it is but has 90% of what I wanted to do already done and only 87K miles, saving me about $2K from what I can tell, so I'm still happy. She's solid as a rock, runs strong and looks damn good too. :D

I haven't done any work on her whatsoever because I'm on vacation and don't have as much as a ratchet with me. Sooooo...that's the story of my Disco.

Other than that, on a personal note, I'm 1/2 of a very dynamic real estate team in Baton Rouge Louisiana. I'm into technology, photography, outdoors, sports, and building and fixing things. (Don't forget LSU & Saint's football.) It's been a while since i had something to tinker with so I'm excited.

Later I'll probably paint her black, but immediately, after I do the regular stuff (based on an amazing list posted here by Disco Mike) I'll powder coat the rims black, be looking for a snorkel, and possibly looking at exhaust mods.

That's all. BTW, I figured the info I have already gotten here is worth three times the $40 for a lifetime premium membership, so I coughed it up.

L8ta!
MykD

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah,one more thing, while the factory Harmon Kardon (sp?) system still sounds damn good, I'll be look ing to replace the head unit with something that has an auxiliary jack or bluetooth capabilities and some heavy duty floor and rear cargo mats.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
If you do a google search of : range rover classic radio, you will find a company called Roverville, or for that matter just google Roverville. They ( he , John) is in Arkansas. For $80 or so will go through the whole head unit and also install an aux jack that will work with your phone ( I have an iPhone) works great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dereyk, I ended up finding that link through a post here. Quite interesting. Considering how well the stock Alpine/Harmon Kardon system sounds, I think I'll do that. I just hate to have to be without tunes while they do it. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts