Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my new radius arms on but the wheels rub at full lock on them. No real big deal for me - BUT the wankers at VA Inspection failed it...so now it is "not roadworthy".

So - evaluating my options:
  1. Buy hub centric spacers and put them on - a bit of work to put them on methinks?
  2. Buy new rims with an offset - easier? And could buy nice looking steelies

What to do? Seems like they are about the same cost...Any suggestions from folks who have done this? Pictures?

If you have an opinion - please - post up where I can buy them!:clap:

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
or you could adjust the steering stops for free

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know, but that looses radius on turns...

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
True but it gets you past inspection so you can enjoy your truck and decide if you want to buy spacers or rims. Or like me watch and wait for a good deal ;)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
With either offset wheels or spacers, unless you are running a big lift (2'' or more) the rear tyre is going to foul the door/wheel arch with an offset rim or spacers when reaching full articulation, even with a stock or close to stock sized tyre. This exact thing happened to me.

I have spacers I use with the stock alloy wheels and 265/75R16 mud grips and no lift, I did have to cut the wheel wells for clearance under full articulation. They work great and I have never had any trouble with them. Just be sure to buy a quality set with wheel nuts and torque/locktight them correctly. They are no harder to fit than changing a wheel and run around 175 GBP a set (Paddocks, in the UK but you may be able to get them from a domestic manufacturer).

I also have offset steel rims with set of 35X12.50 tyres. Other than being a lot wider they basically have the same clearance issues (only more so) as the smaller tyres with the spacers. Benefit of wheels are they are steel and can be repaired, drawback is they are very heavy and more expensive than spacers.

Either way is good. I would not recommend adjusting the steering stops if you don't have to as maneuverability on the trail is one of the best assets of any vehicle but in the meantime to get it past an inspection, you got to do what you got to do.

My 2c.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Get a cheap set of spacers, go get it inspected, pass, then remove them. Or adjust the steering stops, then change them back after passing

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
With either offset wheels or spacers, unless you are running a big lift (2'' or more) the rear tyre is going to foul the door/wheel arch with an offset rim or spacers when reaching full articulation, even with a stock or close to stock sized tyre.
There's an easy solution for that. Don't run spacers on the rear. The issue he has is in the front.

I run spacers in the front only and it works fine.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that is so true Ian!...I never looked at it that way. I think I am going to adjust the stops, seems quite easy from what I have read on here, then keep an eye out for some offset steel rims.

FWIW - the truck has a 3" RTE suspension lift so clearance on full articulation will not be a problem me thinks.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Ian, once again a rare occasion occurs, we agree...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
logic is a marvelous thing Bill...I just feel silly I didn't look at it that way myself.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
It happens to the best of us :)

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Come here and give us a kiss Terry :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you choose the first one with high cost performance. Because if you want to buy new wheels, if the data does not match, you have to buy hub centric rings or spacers again to solve this problem. It’s better to buy spacers with hub centric directly. After installation, the overall car will look more atmospheric.

The wheel spacers can push the wheels out slightly, giving it a more flush look with the fenders.
I had BONOSS wheel spacers 20mm on my car for almost 21,000 miles, with no issues whatsoever.

Maybe you can try what I installed.

They can customize the thickness and data that I want, so that I can install new tires with different data, and the customization time is very fast, just 1~3 days.

If you need it in the future, this is their case article.

·
very disco
1,965 Posts
You realize you just replied to a dead (11 year old) thread

1 - 17 of 17 Posts