Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have pictures of their Discovery II without the spare tire/mount on the rear hatch?

Did you re-route the rear wiper washer fluid line or remove it for a cleaner look? How much weight did you loose by removing it?

I have been trying to imagine my 2001 Discovery II without the spare tire and mount on the rear hatch and I think it may look good.

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A DISCUSSION ON HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO HAVE A SPARE TIRE, OR WHY IT SHOULD STAY.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
They look terrible when the spare is removed, why are you wanting to do this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the geometric rear window looks interesting, almost exact to the LR3. Only if that indentation was not there.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
I think you have that observation reversed. The awkward back of the LR3 or DIII for the rest of the world, echoed the look of the DI and DII with the shape of it's rear window. Not the other way around.

Land Rover did the unconscionable with the LR3 when it stashed the spare UNDER the vehicle. Anyone doing serious off roading knows that's the last place in the world you want your spare to located when you're in a bind. But Rover was more interested in the Chelsea moms and their trips to Tesco.

Also, Rover did not go forward with the Alpine windows in the LR3/DIII abandoning a long running Rover tradition dating back to 1948.

I remember the first reactions to the LR3 on most of these boards where that it looked too much like the Honda Element. Criticism has died down, especially with the launch of the LR4 but, in no way was the LR3 as revolutionary a design as was the first DI. Both the exterior and interior won awards in Europe when introduced at the beginning of the 1990's.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Well, this is all in the eye of the beholder, but Rover owner will tell you it looks like crap. What would you do with the spare if you did remove it.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
True, but at sometime he may wonder why he removed it.t

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you have that observation reversed. The awkward back of the LR3 or DIII for the rest of the world, echoed the look of the DI and DII with the shape of it's rear window. Not the other way around.

Land Rover did the unconscionable with the LR3 when it stashed the spare UNDER the vehicle. Anyone doing serious off roading knows that's the last place in the world you want your spare to located when you're in a bind. But Rover was more interested in the Chelsea moms and their trips to Tesco.

Also, Rover did not go forward with the Alpine windows in the LR3/DIII abandoning a long running Rover tradition dating back to 1948.

I remember the first reactions to the LR3 on most of these boards where that it looked too much like the Honda Element. Criticism has died down, especially with the launch of the LR4 but, in no way was the LR3 as revolutionary a design as was the first DI. Both the exterior and interior won awards in Europe when introduced at the beginning of the 1990's.
They had no need for the alpine windows. From an engineering standpoint, why have two of something when a single, larger one would increase visibility and reduce parts/seals/opportunities for failure/complications? The windows were enlarged to compensate.

Not unthinkable. Smarter.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
First, I didn't say "unthinkable" with regard to Alpine windows. Since they were originally introduced on hardtop Rovers in the late 1940's I'd imagine the engineering required to make a single, large glass, bending over the roof line, that would increase visibility was probably beyond their capacity for reasons ranging from economic to technical in post war England. Volkswagen didn't produce a single rear windowed Beetle until well into the 1950's and that glass had nowhere near the wrap around quality of an Alpine window.

What I spoke of was the tradition of the Alpine window which ended with the LR3 or DIII. It was a tradition that was carried through four incarnations of the Series Rover, into the 90/110 and on to the DI and DII. Over fifty years of tradition were behind the use of the Alpine window that still can be found on new 90/110 models.

Land Rover is nothing without its traditions, be they split tailgates in the Range Rover (watch last weeks Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson's principle critique of the new Sport was its one piece tailgate) or bolt on panels on a Defender. No doubt, as time moves forward changes occur but things that singularly defined a Rover's appearance like the Alpine window will be sorely missed when they are abandoned to "reduce parts/seals/opportunities for failure/complications."

I doubt many DII owners have any bad things to say about Alpine windows and whether their vehicle would be better without them. In fact, I don't ever recall a hue and cry for abandoning the Alpine window. On the other hand, I bet a large percentage of DII owers would rather the ENGINEERS revisit the horrible seals on the TWO sunroofs that leak.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
In fact, I don't ever recall a hue and cry for abandoning the Alpine window.
Quite the opposite, in my opinion. I wish my LR3 had them, but at least they extended the quarter windows up to the point where they would have been. I think they did a good job making an all new Discovery look at least reminiscent of the old discovery. It is weird that the LR3 has a split tailgate, like the RRC. Maybe the designers got confused as to which rover was which. :)

Now on my 90, I'm actively looking for an economical way to add the alpine windows, since mine is a military or van type roof and doesn't have them. I could of course just acquire a new roof, but I'm wondering if it's possible to just cut the holes. The glass and the seals aren't too expensive, if I could get a skilled body shop to cut the metal.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
I meant there were few if any DII owners crying out for the removal of the Alpine window in favor of a 'better engineered' version. On the otherhand, many rightly complained about the leaky sunroofs and a/c drain lines right above the XYZ switch, ect.
And I was agreeing with you. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
The glass and the seals aren't too expensive, if I could get a skilled body shop to cut the metal.
Hi Jafir, Get the glass, seals, masking tape, sharpie, a dremel, a stiff drink and get cutting. If you mark it out right and cut close to the line the seals will hide a few wobbles.
I know that's easy for me to say as i won't be the one cutting my roof. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First, I didn't say "unthinkable" with regard to Alpine windows. Since they were originally introduced on hardtop Rovers in the late 1940's I'd imagine the engineering required to make a single, large glass, bending over the roof line, that would increase visibility was probably beyond their capacity for reasons ranging from economic to technical in post war England. Volkswagen didn't produce a single rear windowed Beetle until well into the 1950's and that glass had nowhere near the wrap around quality of an Alpine window.

What I spoke of was the tradition of the Alpine window which ended with the LR3 or DIII. It was a tradition that was carried through four incarnations of the Series Rover, into the 90/110 and on to the DI and DII. Over fifty years of tradition were behind the use of the Alpine window that still can be found on new 90/110 models.

Land Rover is nothing without its traditions, be they split tailgates in the Range Rover (watch last weeks Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson's principle critique of the new Sport was its one piece tailgate) or bolt on panels on a Defender. No doubt, as time moves forward changes occur but things that singularly defined a Rover's appearance like the Alpine window will be sorely missed when they are abandoned to "reduce parts/seals/opportunities for failure/complications."

I doubt many DII owners have any bad things to say about Alpine windows and whether their vehicle would be better without them. In fact, I don't ever recall a hue and cry for abandoning the Alpine window. On the other hand, I bet a large percentage of DII owers would rather the ENGINEERS revisit the horrible seals on the TWO sunroofs that leak.
True. The leaking sunroof problem seems like something that should have been a recall.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
I always wondered what a horse would look like with an alligators head grafted on to it....
Anybody got any pictures of that one... Or maybe has anyone strapped the spare to the hood with licorice whips? Love to see that one too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts