Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last fall I managed to score a set of 18” wheels with General Grabber AT2 tires for my HSE LR3. The tires still have (I’m guessing) two thirds of their tread left, so I won’t be replacing them anytime in the very near future. My question revolves around my spare tire though. I don’t want to buy a 5th 18” wheel yet because I want to wait until I know what my next tires will be. That being said, what is the view on using the 19” spare wheel in pinch? I have the full size spare (255/55/19) which is the exact same overall diameter as the 255/60/18 General Grabber AT2s that are on the car now. The only problem I can see potentially is that I’m sure they weigh very different amounts. Will this cause a problem? I’m not looking for something to throw on and drive across country, but rather something that would get me “out of the woods” and back home.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It will be fine. Any weight difference will be small. Just be sure it's balanced correctly.
It's the overall diameter that is important.

·
Registered
662 Posts
hens teeth

As roverandom posted, you will be OK. It is matching the circumstance that really matters and what you have does. I took out the rear end on my 1968 Fiat 124 Spider back in 1969 because I did not know it mattered. I was in Philadelphia at the time and fortunately there was a Fiat dealer and parts. I could have been in the US Mid West - that would not have been as good, or I suppose worse, back in Western Canada.

I presume you have the factory 18 inch ten spoke per my link below. It might take you a few months so you might want to start now looking for a fifth wheel.

I regard them as hens teeth; they can take awhile to find at a good price. Often there are none at all on eBay.

I got mine from a wrecking yard in Wisconsin and regarded myself as fortunate.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 miscellaneous/Power Door Lock Wiring

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.