Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys recommend replacing the gasket when replacing the spark plug wires on a 2002 Disco II? I was told by the dealer that they don't replace the gasket, but I have read on other sites that it is recommended. This site seems much more informative. Any help would be great, as I am new to the Land Rover scene, had my truck for about 3 weeks. :wave:
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
743 Posts
Welcome to Land Rovers Only!

What gasket are you referring too?
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
743 Posts
huh.. you know, I am not sure. I thought you just had to be double-jointed to reach the coils.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
I changed mine without pulling the plenum. I just moved the hoses on the firewall out of their mounts to gain access. Not a fun project, but it works. If you remove the plenum, then some sensor safe RTV can reseal it and that's what most shops will use. The upper plenum cover is only just an airbox, so it's not anything exotic.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Muddy Oval said:
I changed mine without pulling the plenum. I just moved the hoses on the firewall out of their mounts to gain access. Not a fun project, but it works. If you remove the plenum, then some sensor safe RTV can reseal it and that's what most shops will use. The upper plenum cover is only just an airbox, so it's not anything exotic.

so in other words if I remove the wires along the firewall I can reach the spark plug wires easily enough to not remove the plenum? That would be best if I can do that. Because I really don't want to remove the plenum if not necessary.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
that's what we did... still skinned some knuckles too.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
16,548 Posts
2002DiscoII said:
so in other words if I remove the wires along the firewall I can reach the spark plug wires easily enough to not remove the plenum? That would be best if I can do that. Because I really don't want to remove the plenum if not necessary.
So if you are patient, have a small hand and a six pack, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.
I am also using 8mm Magnacor wires along with Bosh Platium Plus 4's, and the difference is hugh. You will notice alot more low end torque because of the additional spark generated.
Good luck,
Mike J.
 

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
Its easier to remove the upper plenum.

The upper part isnt prone to leaks at all. No oil or coolant going thru it.
No use in replacing the upper one. its paper anyway.
It makes it easier to remove the plugs.

also check the vehicle over for leaks. if you have an intake leak then you have to remove alot more stuff.

it aint hard takes a few hours.
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
743 Posts
Does anyone have pics of what it tooks like to remove the upper plenum?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Removing Plenum for plug wires

I've tried to fit my hand behind the plenum and cannot do anything except touch the wires where they connect to the coil packs. I moved the wiring harness but the are several tubes/pipes running along the firewall that don't allow me to grab ahold of the end of the wires. I thought I saw some directions on this forum for removing the plenum but I cannot find them now. It looks like you need to remove the throttle assembly and other stuff bolted onto the plenum, and then there are four bolts securing it. Any instructions greatly appreciated. 2000 Discovery II, 88,000 miles with original wires. I want to replace with the 8mm Magnecors I just got.

We drove about a thousand miles last weekend and the exhaust/tailpipe was growing a black mustache from carbon build up on it. I have done the Sea Foam treatments in the tank and through the intake, but I'm sure the wires need replaced.

Thanks, JDB
 

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
plugs are simple. lr recommends at 60k

wires are not, . If the wires arent causing a misfire dont bother at all.

They aint easy and a royal pain.

In order to do them it depends on the thickness of the persons hands and time they have.

of course you can always remove the upper intake.

trust me nothing sucks worse then one or two wires bad on a waiter. Do you have any idea how hot the intake and other stuff gets.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
16,548 Posts
Rovin4life said:
plugs are simple. lr recommends at 60k

wires are not, . If the wires arent causing a misfire dont bother at all.

They aint easy and a royal pain.

In order to do them it depends on the thickness of the persons hands and time they have.

of course you can always remove the upper intake.

trust me nothing sucks worse then one or two wires bad on a waiter. Do you have any idea how hot the intake and other stuff gets.
Rover wires start faling at around 40,000 miles by not allowing full voltage threu them, easy to prove by putting the engine on a scaope.
Factory wires are only good for about 37,000 volts anyway, Magnacor can handle 55,000 volts, and the more volts, the better plugs you can run and the more power you will have as well as gain in MPG.
A set of 8mm Magnacors and Bosh Platium Plus 4's and you will have a hugh increase in low end torque.
Change them.
Mike
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top