Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone encountered this? I redid the head gaskets last year, car runs great. It's a 99 4.0 Gems with 195k miles. Took it to my mechanic to install new coil packs, wires and a set of plugs. He said the 2 front pass. side plugs are jammed. Asked if I had put anti-seize on them when did the head job - I didn't. I can live with the plugs in there now until the car dies, but would like to update them if possible. Should I try to force the plugs out? My mechanic was too scared as it's aluminium block and could end up with a dead car. Anyone had this? Suggestions? Thanks, Kevin in Minneapolis.
[email protected] is better for responses...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Keep soaked with PB or Brake clean while cold and turn only 1/8 at a time. Resoak and 1/8 and tighten, resoak 1/8 until it feels like it is turning Same as Ford suggests for the removal of their awful 2 piece plugs. All else fails pull and heli coil.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Look at the Ford TSB on plug removal. PB Blaster, WD 40, brake clean, etc. spray, let soak, try 1/8 turn, spray, let soak, try 1/8 turn. If moving, retighten a little and loosen, spray, keep up until out. (COLD engine only), warm or hot expands everything and tightens up. Always do in 1/8 increments until out, might start squeeking, spray and take rest of way out. Never broke or ruined a thread yet. Anti-seize is a requirement on re-assembly.

·
Life is an adventure!
7 Posts
PB Blaster is good stuff, but if they are as seized as it sounds I don't think it will get much past 1 or 2 threads. On a Disco II head job I did, I had a rear one froze in. Got a 1/2" breaker bar on it and kept solid pressure on it until it started to turn. Once it gets going just keep going slow and hope for the best. More than likely somebody over torqued it and its chewed over a thread and you will need to have the threads chased or retapped. Best of luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.