Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I purchased my Disco, I first replaced all spark plugs since I thought that perhaps these hadn't been replaced yet. (The workshop record book was empty).
Autozone sold me Champion RC12PYP (double platinum) spark plugs. No real problems. The Disco had RC11PYPB4's installed. Does anybody know if that is a suitable Champion model for the D II ?

Also, when I pulled the first spark plug out, I wasn't sure what I saw, as I have never seen these types before with the tiny electrode. I thought that this spark plug was well over due. Perhaps not. It may have only needed the gaps set properly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,236 Posts
The small electrode is not a problem unless your rig has a internal oil leak...If your rover is up to snuff you are fine
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,594 Posts
Spark Plugs

Imag,
How many miles on your new truck??
I run Bosh Platiumn Plus 4's, that actually have even a smaller electrode, and they are great.
They give out more spark and better low end torque.
By the way one way to determine if a plug is in need of replacement is if gas is leak at the base of the plug causing the ceramic to form a brown ring from leaking exhaust. Your old plug looked fine.
What about plug wires, if you have over 50,000 miles on your they are warn out and should also be replace with something like a Magnaco 8 mm wire set.

Good luck
Mike J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Disco Mike,
Thanks for the advise.
My Disco's got 73K miles on now. The plugs were changed at 70K.
On the particular plug shown in the picture, I had actually cleaned the ceramic a bit to read the part number. All of them had a bit of brown "dirt" on the exposed caramic area.

The Magnacor 8mm set is one of the things to replace of my list. This weekend, I'll have to swap that noise idler pulley out.

Bosch Platinum + 4 : This caused lots of debates at other LR forums. Most people reckon it is generally a poor quality plug which one needs to stay clear of. There are users who are very happy with that plug.
:dunno:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,594 Posts
Plugs

Don't alway believ everything you believe, including some of my stuff cause it is only my option.
A couple of thoughts, one, if you have a badidler replace it first, they can tear up alot of parts when they let go.
As for the Magnacors, do you have a place to buy them, $67.00 is a going price for the 8mm. wires.
As for the Bosh Platiumn Plus 4 plugs, try them, they can't be beat. Most people who have complained about them were trying to run them with stock or old wires and they require more voltage then old wires can supply. Magnacor wire will exceed 57,000 volts compared to a new set of factory wires at 34,000 plus voltage.
Bosh will take there plugs back is you don't like them.
Go for some good fuel and induction additives after you do the other repairs.
Mike J.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,367 Posts
Disco Mike said:
Magnacor wire will exceed 57,000 volts compared to a new set of factory wires at 34,000 plus voltage.
Bosh will take there plugs back is you don't like them.
Go for some good fuel and induction additives after you do the other repairs.
Mike J.
disco mike, I dont know much about the topic of cables and what not. I was wondering how getting wires that have a higher rating can actually give you a high voltage spark? Unless the magnacor wires resist a ton less then the stock wires, I dont see how the rover itself could give you a stonger spark without replacing the ignition coil or something?

I have been looking at getting those wires for a while, I am now curious exactly how they will improve my rig.

thanks :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,594 Posts
Plug Wires

It has been a well known fact for years that factory plug wires are junk. The factory coil is not the best but as stock it puts out more voltage then their plug wires can handle.
Everybody that I know that has up graded their plug wires has experienced an improvement in low end torque.
Do you ever watch the drag races??? They don't run stock plug wires, they spend hundreds of $$$ to get as much of their spark from the distributors to their spark plugs.
The nice thing about up grading to a good set of 8mm plug wires is you can do it for only an extra15% or 20% difference in cost.
Go for it, it will work for you.
Mike J.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,594 Posts
8mm. wires are one size larger then the factory 7mm wires. They last longer, take maore heat and handle the higher voltage.
Funny you should ask about the wire replacement, yes they are a bugger and if you take your time, have a small hand and a six pack you can change them, just have to have a little patients.
If you want we can talk before you start and I'll try and walk you thru this.
Mike J.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,236 Posts
Where do I get the 8mm core wires...Mine is about due!!! Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
Disco Mike said:
Don't alway believ everything you believe, including some of my stuff cause it is only my option.
A couple of thoughts, one, if you have a badidler replace it first, they can tear up alot of parts when they let go.
As for the Magnacors, do you have a place to buy them, $67.00 is a going price for the 8mm. wires.
As for the Bosh Platiumn Plus 4 plugs, try them, they can't be beat. Most people who have complained about them were trying to run them with stock or old wires and they require more voltage then old wires can supply. Magnacor wire will exceed 57,000 volts compared to a new set of factory wires at 34,000 plus voltage.
Bosh will take there plugs back is you don't like them.
Go for some good fuel and induction additives after you do the other repairs.
Mike J.
Mike,

I ran the +4 on my Rangie along with a set of Magnecor 8mm and they failed after a few months. What do you think the problem might've been? Could it be because I was using a Bosch coil instead of the stock Lucas?

ANyway, anyone need some Magnecor wires let me know and I'll give you the LRO special deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
beezel said:
Did you route the wires right.

although not much of a problem on a LR.

Seen it more on a Ford then anything.
I did.

Beezel, looks like you work on Rovers for a living, correct? Are you a LR mechanic or do you deal with different vehicles? Not that it matters but I'm just curious. Would you recommend the +4s? Have you heard of any issues with them? Again, just curious.

Thanks,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,367 Posts
Disco Mike said:
8mm. wires are one size larger then the factory 7mm wires. They last longer, take maore heat and handle the higher voltage.
Funny you should ask about the wire replacement, yes they are a bugger and if you take your time, have a small hand and a six pack you can change them, just have to have a little patients.
If you want we can talk before you start and I'll try and walk you thru this.
Mike J.
Yeah, it looked like it will be a pain....oh well, just have to leap in and go for it.



btw, will have to be a 6 pack of soda (kep=16yrs)


:beer: (rootbeer)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,594 Posts
Here is another place to buy wires.
http://www.roverconnection.com/

John C.,
Just curious, what failed after a few months, the plugs? What did they look like?
Not saying this combination is full proof, but I usually don't hear of it failing. Wonder what sort of voltage the coil is putting out, that is one thing that is a must for the Plus 4's, usually 50,000 volts plus.
Take care,
Mike J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
Disco Mike said:
Here is another place to buy wires.
http://www.roverconnection.com/

John C.,
Just curious, what failed after a few months, the plugs? What did they look like?
Not saying this combination is full proof, but I usually don't hear of it failing. Wonder what sort of voltage the coil is putting out, that is one thing that is a must for the Plus 4's, usually 50,000 volts plus.
Take care,
Mike J.
Mike, the plugs failed (one of the prongs broke off or burnt off) along with the coil. Maybe I should try the +4s again on my 95 DI. What brand coil do you recommend for the DI?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,594 Posts
John,
I don't have a suggestion on the brands of coils to use. My only suggestion is if you are replacing your coil, go for as voltage as you can find.
Mike J.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top