Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a 1991 Range Rover that has an odd central locking issue. When attempting to lock the driver's door, either by button or by key, it pulses twice, locking and then immediately unlocking all locks. If I try locking from the passenger door everything works fine. I swapped the actuators between the front doors and the problem remained the same. I'm guessing it's the control unit but it seems like an odd way to fail. Has anyone else experienced this? Any other thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm working on a 1991 Range Rover that has an odd central locking issue. When attempting to lock the driver's door, either by button or by key, it pulses twice, locking and then immediately unlocking all locks. If I try locking from the passenger door everything works fine. I swapped the actuators between the front doors and the problem remained the same. I'm guessing it's the control unit but it seems like an odd way to fail. Has anyone else experienced this? Any other thoughts? Thanks!
Try locking it with all the doors open. see what happens. Report findings. try locking it from the driver and passenger interior lock.(windows down)...next make sure the windows are down, all doors shut, leave the key in the ignition, shut all doors, open hood then disconnect the battery, for a few minutes. then reconnect the battery. your locks should cycle. make sure there is no binding of the interior door lock mechanism.(the part that goes up and down inside) try this with the key off and then with the key on. if a door is not shut all the way, this symptom you are describing will happen. it will happen if some thing is wrong with any door including the rear hatch. my 94 needed a new latch assembly. drivers side. it appeared fine but would not let the plastic door lock( part you see going up and down..some people reported that the rear door child safety lock lever (open door on rear doors lever is sticking out of the bottom of each rear door) sometimes they had problems if only one of these were set different from the other side) the strange thing it, my door locks used to cycle every time i disconnected the battery and reconnected it again. they no longer do this, but everything works fine. the fact that you can change the actuator from side to side and it makes no difference indicates it might be a rear door lock issue. or again the rear hatch..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I tried all that you said and nothing changes. The passenger door will lock and unlock all locks correctly. The driver's door will unlock all locks fine but when locking, the locks immediately cycle and unlock. The driver's rear door needs the spring to help it unlock the whole way but I doubt that could cause this issue because a) the passenger door works the locks just fine and b) the issue there is the lock springing all the way to the unlock position.

I have a control unit coming so I hope that fixes it. I'll report.

One other thing, the tailgate lock was not actuating. I traced it to the suppressor and eliminated that and the tailgate works fine. I assume the suppressor is for radio noise interference. In either case, the right front door activates the locks correctly and I would guess that if the suppressor was the issue neither front door would work the locks properly.

Also, if the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is opened the chime will start, so the vehicle knows when the driver's door is opened and when it's shut.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine door locks were going spastic a few times, and now the RRSS has set the immobilized. Car thinks it’s being stolen? Parking break and flashers engage when trying to start. Door locks also engage or disengage twice while turning key. Anyone ever resolve this issue and could share their solution?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine door locks were going spastic a few times, and now the RRSS has set the immobilized. Car thinks it’s being stolen? Parking break and flashers engage when trying to start. Door locks also engage or disengage twice while turning key. Anyone ever resolve this issue and could share their solution?
Have you tried disconnecting the alarm & immobiliser?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts