Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Vogue with the 11 speaker HK system.
I got the car a few months ago and from day one both the L&R front speakers don't seem to be working properly.
There is a tiny bit of sound coming from them but that's all.
The rear speakers and sub are fine and pumping out clear quality sound.
I have made all the adjustments on the head unit with no change.
This is what I have checked so far:
1. The door amp fuse - ok (this is weird as the workshop manual says that this DEC2000 model does NOT have door amps but only the HK DSP behind the sub?
2. Unplugged the DSP main connector and reconnected: No change.
Does anyone know how to test the unit?
Could it be a connector from the head unit itself?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
490 Posts
This might be your problem: Each door speaker has a separate amplifier which powers the speakers in that door. The head unit only sends a preamp signal. This would be the small amount of sound coming from your doors. On my 95 4.0SE, all of the speakers and the sub on the driver's side (US) would not work. This led me to the following fix: Even though power is supplied to the door amps at all times when the ignition is on, there is an amp trigger wire which actually turns them on. You might notice a small delay when you power the head unit on and when the loud sound actually is heard. This is that trip wire turning on the amps. It delays so you don't hear a thump through the sub and the speakers. If there is a break somewhere, or a short, you will get no sound. The wire runs under the door plastic sills with a mess of other wiring. It is a single black wire (at least in 95) Take the door panel off, find the amp (On mine it is a small black metal box with a wiring clip bolted to the door.) Trace the wires in the clip: most will go to the speakers in the door. You should be left with three wires: a ground wire, a constant 12v+ with ignition in I or II position, and the amp trigger wire. If you can find these wires, do this: test with radio off ignition in I or II. You should have a ground at the ground wire at all times, and with they key on you should have 12V+ at that [constant power] wire. The other wire should have nothing. Now turn the radio on with the key on, and test [the amp trigger wire]: Should be 12V+. It won't be if I'm right. If there isn't, you can spend hours or days taking your car apart trying to find the broken wire, or you can trace it on the back of the radio head unit. It will be the same color / thickness as the one on the amp. Probe into the wire with a meter and see if with the radio on there is 12V, with the radio off 0volts. If this is the case, cut the trigger wire, leaving enough wire, and then run a new wire from the head unit to the amp. That is what I did, fixed the problem fine.

On the other hand, if this is not the problem (12v+ appears at trigger wire on amp with radio on) you could have an amp problem, or you could try the following: find the mode button you push to change bass / treb / balance, etc. Push and hold until you here a beep and the radio resets to the factory bass / treb / balance / fade, etc.

Good Luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 1996 is prone (especially since I accidentally put 4000 miles on it with high-vibration (read - out of shape) tires) to occasionally have the plugs at the back of the radio unit come slightly adrift - causing a drop of signal to one pre-amp or another. Lsst time it happened I lost only CD sound - it was the cable from the CD unit that came unplugged.

HTH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

I have been thinking about the fault and am going to tackle it tomorrow (Sunday)
I am taking both your advice and going to remove the head unit (I have the keys) and check the connection...have a sneaky suspicion that this is the fault. m then going to have the driver door panel off to check the speakers and the door amps. Am still confused as hell here as the "Rave" CD (the LR official workshop manual) says that my SEPT 2000 Vogue doe NOT have door amps but only the DSP. We will see and I will post results.

Mick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.