Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what justifies having a Special Vehicle badge? I've seen Trek, Kalahari and G4 models without the badges them? I've also heard that you cannot get these badges from the dealer unless you have a VIN saying it's a special vehicle. Could someone clarify?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
ibjettin said:
I am wondering what justifies having a Special Vehicle badge? I've seen Trek, Kalahari and G4 models without the badges them? I've also heard that you cannot get these badges from the dealer unless you have a VIN saying it's a special vehicle. Could someone clarify?

As far as the dealer telling you you can't get a SpecVeh badge, that's is such typical dealer Ignorance, BS or both. Go the the Rovers North website, they have them in 2 sizes.

Any vehicle that doesn't come off the 'plain Vanilla' line, but is finished by Special Vehicles, can, and usually does have a metal tag under the hood saying it did, what contract and born date, and a seperate serial number of the run it was built under. For example, my son's '97 XD has a SpecVeh badge that says it was built December 16th, 1996, and is SN 18. Serg's says SN 40, and a friend in Maine has the same badge on his, built 4 days earleir than my son's. SN 14.
All 535 NAS 110 Defenders were built by SpecVeh, but NAS 90s were not.
1996 Treks were built by them, but Kalihari and G4 are off the assmebly line.
Of coarse, we all think of our Rovers as 'special'.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Special Vehicles are from a company outside of Land Rover or a division of Land Rover? Or Special Vehicles is another company that takes Land Rovers and modifies them more than the factory does?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Special Vehicles Division is just another building at Solihull, where anything unusual is finished. They get Chassies or finished vehicles, and finish them to "special" options not performed on the regular production line, such a special bodies on Def chassis, Limited production models of various models, etc. Things like skidplates, roll cages, utility boxes, Company sponsored expedition rigs are hand built by them. They do paintwork, fabrication, and interior work too.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terry - Thanks! Your information helped out a lot! I've been searching the web, but no info :dunno: I appreciate your help :drink1:

So, next question... Am I a big poser if i put one on my Disco?
It's pretty unique :rolleyes:

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
ibjettin...

You can do what you want.. but I would put that in the same category as people who put "M" badges on their 325i BMW's

Serg

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True. I totally see the point. A few weeks ago I saw a dark blue Discovery II with UK plates and the badges? I was wondering what defined a "Special Vehicle" and what was so special about this blue disco?

Besides, it would compete with the LRO sticker :buttrock:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Serg said:
ibjettin...

You can do what you want.. but I would put that in the same category as people who put "M" badges on their 325i BMW's

Serg
I guess I'd have to agree. It would be like me puting a Camel Trophy badge on my 110.
I know we all like our vehicles, and work to make them unique, but it's really looked on as faked up. As long as it's special to you, that's all that counts.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm glad you are both being nice about it :D I know some would be lighting torches ready to flame on other forums for even bringing up the thought :rolleyes:

I have just always been curious bout what defined a Special Vehicle and I have seen the badges on Ebay and Rovers North.

Like ya say Terri, as long as it's special to me :drink1:

·
4,576 Posts
WHat would be really unique is if you created your very own badge from scratch....

I hat a CT tropy Vynil Decal on my truck that I thought was smaller than what I got...Man was that thing BIG..as big as the real CT trophy plate that they had on the fronts of the roof racks...so thats the only place I found suitable, only I dont have a roof rack..........

No worry, It's recently been taken off....

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Serg said:
ibjettin...

Serg
I dig what your saying about the M3 thang.That is a total poseur thing.However the special vehicle badge is getting put on tons of Landy's around the UK by their owners due to the fact we believe all Landy's are special,hence the Special Vehicle badge.Kind of a joke. :) I know that mine is not a special vehicle from the factory but I think that all of mine are or have been.Anyway...if they wernt special....what are they?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.