Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have determined that yes, my springs and shocks are in need of replacing. The ride quality has suffered (it's much too rough), and although a lay person couldn't tell, perhaps my 01 Disco with 137K miles has "sunk" a bit, according to Disco Mike.

I want to overhaul this as soon as I can and get it back to riding like it should.

What is a typical labor cost/job time for installing a set of Old Man Emu springs and shocks on a Disco II?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You can do it yourself in around 2 to 3 hours with a floor jack and 2 jack stands. If you have a shop do it it could run you an easy $250 plus.
Go to lucky 8 and watch their video on doing the install.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No offense to anybody but literally anybody that can turn a wrench and has the proper stands can do this. My first vehicle project ever was a Jeep suspension swap and the Disco was just as easy. I agree that it will take the average, beer drinking, driveway mechanic longer than 3 hours, but not by much and it's actually a lot of fun.

Helpful (in my opinion) hint: use the stock bottle jack to push the axle down on one side to make larger springs fit in easier.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
While the job is easy, jh. has a point - you need an assortment of heavy-duty jacks and jackstands. At the very minimum you need a 3-Ton hydraulic jack, 2 6-ton jack stands, and a bottle jack to articulate the axle enough to remove the springs. If you don't have these parts - budget at least $250 to get them all. Keep in mind that most run-of-the-mill jacks won't give you enough lift, you need the big stuff.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While the job is easy, jh. has a point - you need an assortment of heavy-duty jacks and jackstands. At the very minimum you need a 3-Ton hydraulic jack, 2 6-ton jack stands, and a bottle jack to articulate the axle enough to remove the springs. If you don't have these parts - budget at least $250 to get them all. Keep in mind that most run-of-the-mill jacks won't give you enough lift, you need the big stuff.
Which is probably why I'll have a mechanic friend do this relatively easy job at his shop, although I'm always leery of non-LR folks doing work on my vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts