Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help! just bought this truck, ran great until last week. after a long trip(300 miles or so) it sputtered and stalled out in front of the house. i recently changed oil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel and air filter. i have also cleared flame trap and connecting hoses, cleaned the stepper motor, and cleaned the air flow meter. it just wont run smooth. it has ceased stalling out completely, but sputters and surges. thanks in advance for any info.
silas

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
This may help it may not..... Lucas makes a fuel system cleaner, fill up your tank dump this in... I put it in my RRC when i first bought it and it helped my throttle response... I now put it i at every oil change... The other product i keep hearing about is seafoam........... They are both pretty cheap to try, hope this helps.. The other idea would be your throttle position sensor. from the sounds of you already fixed everything else

· Registered
127 Posts
O2 sensors.....

If you havn't changed them out in a while, it could be your o2 sensors.

After getting hot (running for a while) they could be sending false info to the computor which in turn effects the air / fuel mix.
Some people have success removing the sensors & cleaning them, but normally new sensors are required.

Good luck,
Andy

· Registered
734 Posts
My 89 did the same thing......is your timing set correctly? Does it seem to run better once it gets up to normal operating temp?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the operating temp doesnt seem to have any effect, but i will pull the o2 sensors and see what they look like. i will also run fuel system cleaner through. how should i check my fuel pressure? and i am not familiar with the air gap in the distro(?). all good leads, will write back after i tackle a few of them.
thanks, silas

· rovering??
672 Posts
it has happened a few times... and i have realised now what it is.. i have only noticed this happening after filling up fuel at cheapo gas stations like rotten robbie and arco. again i only use 91 or 89 when i know it is going to be colder for the next week or so.... try that .. i also use cheveron techron additive regularly... and other times i use octane boosters made by some other companies...

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
still stalling/sputtering

i am out of ideas. i put seafoam in the fuel and checked every cylinder for spark. all seems fine around the block 3-4 times, then it chugs and dies as soon as it falls into low rpms. looks like i will have to suck it up and take it to the garage. thanks for your input.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mass air flow sensor!

ouch!
i tried cleaning the mass air flow sensor, but it didnt do any good. the shop replaced it for a small fortune. on the plus side, all of the other work that was done while hunting down the source has really livened up this beast.
thanks for the help.

· WWTSD? (what would Tony Soprano do?)
122 Posts
I would think possibly the ignition amplifier, when they get old, they start failing when they get hot - the thing will run ok until it heats up and then you get intermittent missing or just a completely dead truck.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.