Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could advise me. I have a 2.5ltr disco one (diesel). In the past 2 weeks there has been a squealing noise from the belt in the front of the engine, if I pour a drop of water onto it it stops for a few seconds (until the water evaporates I suppose) and starts again.

This happened about 8k miles ago aswell and was changed/fixed by the dealer (he was the one who showed me the trick with the water).

It mainly happens when I am idling and also when the clutch is depressed when changing gear, there is no noise when accelerating.

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be, or how to fix it.

Many thanks

Wicklah

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed (kinda :)

Hi,

A mate of mine said that talcum powder might help. So I put a bit of it onto the belt and hey presto, no more squealing.

Am selling so I don't want to spend too much money on it.

Wicklah

· Registered
102 Posts
wicklah said:
Hi,

A mate of mine said that talcum powder might help. So I put a bit of it onto the belt and hey presto, no more squealing.

Am selling so I don't want to spend too much money on it.

Wicklah
Wicklah, a wax candle held against the sides of the squealing belt while the engine is idling will stop it from sqealing and slipping, WATCH YOU DONT STICK YOUR FINGERS INTO THE FAN OR UNDER THE BELT, IT HURTS, A LOT, Regards Frank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.