Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 Disco (4.0 V8) w/ ~100k miles. At ~78k miles, I began noticing a brief squealing noise on startup (lasts ~30 seconds). The noise only occurs on the 1st startup of the day. The dealer's service center thought it was the drive belt & tensioner pulley and replaced both components @ 82k miles. The noise "reappeared" shortly thereafter and hasn't gotten worse (or better). I read about how the viscous drive unit for the engine cooling fan works in the Land Rover Discovery Work Shop Manual. Could this be the source of the noise? If so, is it just noise or an indication of a future component failure? Engine temperature has remained normal under all driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Oconee Disco said:
I have a '96 Disco (4.0 V8) w/ ~100k miles. At ~78k miles, I began noticing a brief squealing noise on startup (lasts ~30 seconds). The noise only occurs on the 1st startup of the day. The dealer's service center thought it was the drive belt & tensioner pulley and replaced both components @ 82k miles. The noise "reappeared" shortly thereafter and hasn't gotten worse (or better). I read about how the viscous drive unit for the engine cooling fan works in the Land Rover Discovery Work Shop Manual. Could this be the source of the noise? If so, is it just noise or an indication of a future component failure? Engine temperature has remained normal under all driving conditions.
on my 96 D1 with 120k I had to replace the tensioner pulley, alternator (bearing was going bad) and water pump all at the same time. Seems like all the bearings were going at the same time.

BTW, you can get the bearing for the tension pulley for under 11 bucks and replace it yourself. The alt bearing is a bit more complicated but you could bring it to a shop and have it replaced. I've heard of people replacing the water pump bearing but that's something I wouldn't try.

Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.