Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
03 Disco SE7
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a 03 disco. After a ton of fixes the only thing left is an srs light. Using a snap on scanner the code is 9010 short to ignition passenger airbag . It will not clear. I've read 20 plus threads on this and I believe it may be related to the battery being dead when I purchased the truck. I've unplugged and cleaned the harness under the seat just for good measure and I've check running voltage 14 ish. Will I have to take to the dealership to have this cleared. That's the consensus based on what I read. Thoughts?

Here a pic of the rig.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
As the code is for the passenger airbag it's useless to mess with other things, that low battery theory is not valid IMO. The connectors under the seats are for pretensioners, nothing to do with thos code. You have to make sure that the short is in the airbag unit or on the wiring before that so unplug the airbag then read code again and if you get open circuit you have to change the unit or use a resistor instead but if you get the same code with it unplugged the problem becomes more complicated and we'll speak then. You'll have to remove the glove box to reach the connector(C0251) . Once the fault is rectified the warning will go out and the code can be cleared no need for dealership.

C0251 LHD.png

Reactions: 15mpg

·
Registered
03 Disco SE7
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thank you for the info I'll try to get to this tomorrow. Should I disconnect the battery before I unplug the airbag and then plug it back up?

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Awesome thank you for the info I'll try to get to this tomorrow. Should I disconnect the battery before I unplug the airbag and then plug it back up?
Won't hurt

·
Registered
259 Posts
First, yes, disconnect the negative battery cable and allow 10 minutes before touching any SRS wiring.

A few years ago I had a driver's side (LHD) airbag fault for the airbag in the steering wheel. I bought a replacement airbag but that didn't solve the problem. I checked continuity from the airbag terminal in the steering wheel back to the DCU connector under the center console. I was about to order an overlay harness when I discovered the short was in the connector itself. I carefully removed all the pins from the connector and cleaned it carefully. That solved the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I was about to order an overlay harness when I discovered the short was in the connector itself. I carefully removed all the pins from the connector and cleaned it carefully. That solved the problem.
You should know that the SRS connectors have a shorting pin built in as when it's unplugged to go to short circuit for protection so in your case was a bad contact or something

·
Registered
03 Disco SE7
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so did everything you said the scanner is giving two srs faults with the airbag disconnected. Open circuit in passenger airbag and short to ignition. What would be the next steps? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Just confirm after you unplugged the airbag did you try to erase the codes and both were unclearable ? normally the one with short should go away being hystorical so if you didint do that give an erase command with airbag unplugged and if only the open circuit stays current then the bag is at fault

·
Registered
03 Disco SE7
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after cleaning codes only the open circuit fault remains with it unplugged. Guess my next question is how difficult is it to change the bag?

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I didnt change one myself but it's described in the workshop manual at SRS - repairs section, download this SugarSync but before that you can try to remove the shorting pin from the bag's plug as Redrover did cos it can misbehave and short out the bag while it's plugged in then plug back the bag and see then maybe you are lucky and get rid of the fault this way

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts

·
Registered
03 Disco SE7
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you to the both of you for all the information. I will attempt this in the next day or two and report back.

·
Registered
03 Disco SE7
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick question is the shorting pin located at the DCU harness or is it at connector(C0251). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
It's in the connector which is on the loom to the airbag as i already said, if it was in the side toward the DCU the fault code should have been short circuit not open with connector unplugged

·
Registered
03 Disco SE7
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think I found my answer it's at C0251. Redrover do you know what pins on the DCU harness are related to the passenger airbag? I can't find a diagram.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
What are you doing at the DCU? the problem is at C0251 airbag side or in the airbag, did you miss my replies ?

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
To clarify, if you disconnect C0251 the female side toward the airbag gets shorted so if the connector is not tight enough the shorting pin can slide and get a short circuit even when it's connected that's why you get open circuit with the connector unplugged as the male side is free. Once you are sure that there's no short in the connector and you still get the short circuit fault code then you know to replace the airbag if you see what i mean

D2 SRS diagram.jpg

·
Registered
03 Disco SE7
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok gents sorry for taking so long to get back. Here is a picture of the harness. So I'm thinking I either should slide something between the shorting end and where the male piece slides in... If that even makes sense. Or I could cut the shorting piece out completely. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Do what ever you can as to make sure that there will be no short in the plug when you connect both sides together and if after that you still get short circuit code you know it's the bag

1 - 20 of 23 Posts