Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with that one? It's a 2000 D2, LHD. I've looked in the RAVE and not found any troubleshooting advice yet. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place. In the circuit diagrams, I see a two wire connector under the steering column and that will be the first place I look. The connector (0545) on the steering wheel side of the rotary coupler isn't listed, so not much help there.

Maybe I'll get lucky.

Anyone else seen this? If how, how did you fix it? Thanks in advance.

· '03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Did you do any wiring work on the car prior to getting the code?

Have you tried to clear the code? Does it come back?

"Open Circuit" usually means either a bad ground, bad connection or damaged wires somewhere in the circuit. If you've never touched the system before I'd put my money on a bad rotary coupling - it's not uncommon for them to fail. Just be doubly careful when you're doing any airbag repairs. Leave the battery unhooked overnight if possible.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you do any wiring work on the car prior to getting the code?
Not really. I was in the steering column nacelle and under the dash in that area to fix the ignition lock mechanism when it fell apart, but that was months ago. The first place I'm going to look will be that connector under the steering column.

Have you tried to clear the code? Does it come back?
Yes, it comes back immediately.

"Open Circuit" usually means either a bad ground, bad connection or damaged wires somewhere in the circuit. If you've never touched the system before I'd put my money on a bad rotary coupling - it's not uncommon for them to fail. Just be doubly careful when you're doing any airbag repairs. Leave the battery unhooked overnight if possible.
The rotary coupling services a lot of different circuits, doesn't it? None of those others are giving trouble. I am a bit apprehensive about doing airbag work. I would follow the RAVE carefully.

· Registered
55 Posts
The replacement of a faulty rotary coupler is a typical procedure for the SRS - Drivers Airbag Open Circuit issue. I changed mine last year which solved the problem.

Here is a good video for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl3HeZX0aag

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The replacement of a faulty rotary coupler is a typical procedure for the SRS - Drivers Airbag Open Circuit issue. I changed mine last year which solved the problem.

Here is a good video for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl3HeZX0aag
A very informative video, thank you.

So I take it that if I were to remove the airbag and the connector under the steering column, I can tell whether the connector at the rotary coupler is bad? There is evidently a short in the connector to prevent discharge from static buildup. I'd rather test the coupler before replacing it as they are quite expensive.

Also, it occurs to me that I did have the center console off to do some work under there, and this is where the SRS DCU is located, isn't it? I didn't mess with any connectors unless it was necessary, so I don't think I disturbed the DCU, but it is a thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.