Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. 02 Disco that has been running fine until Saturday night when it ran and shut down on its own and would not restart. I checked for spark and had none at that time so it took a ride home on a tow truck. I read about an issue with the alarm scrambling and locking and unlocking the doors etc. I did this and it started right . Yesterday I took it out and ran errands all day with no issues. Today as I was driving to work it died again and refused to start. Again it was towed and 20 minutes after the tow (an hour after it stalled) it started right up. I'm guessing its an electrical or sensor issue as it waits for operating temps to stall. Is going right to the coil a bad idea or do these symptoms sound like a bad coil pack?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Crank sensor.

And you most likely have oil dripping down on it, or the connector.

There should be several walk throughs on replacing this, but good time to fix any oil leaks, usually the valve cover gaskets that leak on it, to prevent future issues.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Go to Lucky8, Justin has a how to do videoo on replacing the sensor.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks Rover Guy, you're 100% correct. I noticed a leak on the back side of the valve cover. Guess its time for some new parts. Is the cps a simple install plug and play type thing?
Definitely a crank sensor. Easier to replace by dropping the y-pipe, but that may be a job in itself. Take your time. There are a couple of spacers on it, so don't lose those. Not a hard job, but can be a little tricky the first time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check it out Mike, thanks. Heli, it may be tricky but to be completely honest this Rover has been the easiest vehicle to work on that I've ever owned. The biggest challenge is finding someone local that has the part .

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
V/C leak will take out the CPS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.