Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had my starter replaced for the 3rd time in 8 months. The mechanic can't seem to figure out what is causing the starters to go bad, and just seems to think that maybe he got a bad batch of starters. That just doesn't seem plausible to me. Does anyone have any idea what could be killing these starters?

About 9 months ago, I had some fairly extensive work done to the motor, and since then the check engine light has been coming on. The error code indicates that there is a problem with the cam sensor, but that has been replaced. The death of the starters mentioned above has coincided with the check engine light problem. I don't know if that is coincidental or if it could be the cause.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi,
Nine times out of ten if the cam sensor is logged as the fault,it's actually the crank sensor signal that's at fault. I would get the drive plate checked over closely,if you don't want to spend for a box out then I would at least remove the starter and have a good look at the ring gear. I am assuming it's an auto,if so the drive plates are known to crack,this could be giving you an erratic ckp signal and possibly causing the starter damage.
Does it make any strange noises when you crank the engine over? If it does,that would be a good indicator of a drive plate fault.
Hope this helps,
Mick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't make any strange noises when it has a fresh starter in, but after a few months, it starts to make some real unusual, rough sounding noises when you start it up.

What is a box out?

Thanks for your help Mick.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sorry would like to help but need a bit more info.
When the starter dies how does it die.
turn key hear a noise. ie loud click or clunk.
turn key nothing, ie dead, zip, zilch, nada you get the picture.
turn key hear a grinding noise.
or turn key hear the starter motor run but nothing happens.
and also do you do much off roading, and have you had any other electrical type problems, stereo does not work ocasionaly looses station presets any thing that might be electrical based.
The rough sounding noise that hapens after a while does it sound like a gear box grinding as in when you miss a gear when changing gears.
Adam

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
130CC said:
Sorry would like to help but need a bit more info.
When the starter dies how does it die.
turn key hear a noise. ie loud click or clunk.
turn key nothing, ie dead, zip, zilch, nada you get the picture.
and also do you do much off roading, and have you had any other electrical type problems, stereo does not work ocasionaly looses station presets any thing that might be electrical based.
The rough sounding noise that hapens after a while does it sound like a gear box grinding as in when you miss a gear when changing gears.
Adam

The first time the starter went bad, the starter motor would run but the car would not start.

The second time, there was kind of a whining noise everytime you started. The car would start, but then there would be this prolonged whining noise afterward.

The third time, it was more of a grinding type noise. At first, it would only happen in cold weather on the first start of the day. However, it continued to deteriorate to the point where it happened on almost every start. The grinding noise is somewhat hard to describe. It's not like the grinding of gears, but more like the sound when you try to start a car that is already started.

No, I haven't had any other electrical problems. There is a light in the dash that wants to work sometimes and doesn't others, but that's about it. Other than the starting problem, the truck runs great.

Hopefully, this helps.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ok then here is why I asked for some extra info.

turn key hear a noise. ie loud click or clunk. - this is the solenoid engaging and motor not turning from lack of power burnt out dead or the solenoid it self has a fault

turn key nothing, ie dead, zip, zilch, nada you get the picture. - power in the ignition circuit to the starter motor or solenoid fault

the last 2 apply to the problem you are having this is only useing deduction.
turn key grinding noise the 2 gears are not aligned properly. when a starter starts the bendix slides up the motors drive sfaft and engages the ring gear when the starter stops the bendix returns to a neutral position not engaging the ring gear.

to quote from you

- The first time the starter went bad, the starter motor would run but the car would not start. i would asume that this is the bendix having trubble engaging the ring gear or it is stripped or worn and is unable to engage the ring gear.

- The second time, there was kind of a whining noise everytime you started. The car would start, but then there would be this prolonged whining noise afterward. I would guess that this is the benbix having touble disengaging the ring gear

- The third time, it was more of a grinding type noise. At first, it would only happen in cold weather on the first start of the day. However, it continued to deteriorate to the point where it happened on almost every start. The grinding noise is somewhat hard to describe. It's not like the grinding of gears, but more like the sound when you try to start a car that is already started.
this is a real stab in the dark but i am wondering if the ring gear and the bendix might be stuck together. the reason why it might only hapen on start up when the engine is cold is as the enginge and gear box warm up the changeing tempratures may be affecting the size of the crack. this is just a big guess. I had a leak on an exhaust manifold once (before the turbo) that was only a problem when it was very cold ie had snowed the car could start but without the turbo being turned the engine was starved of air and could not be driven at other temperaturs the car ran fine. The crack was big enough to stick a pinky through on a very cold morning

So by using this form of deduction I would agree with scoobymic and terrys and say that it would be an alignment problem between the two geers. But I am no expert I just use reasoning on the information I have. Hope this information helps.
Adam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.