Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a vain attempt to save money, I am trying to locate a rebuild kit for the starter motor on my 89 RR. Does anyone know of a site that sells that kit?
The starter will turn the engine over, but very slowly. I first thought it was a dead battery so I recharged it, but then it did the same thing. I also noticed a little smoke coming from the back and left side of the engine so I felt the starter and it was very hot.

· Series Moderator
506 Posts
CurvyRover said:
In a vain attempt to save money, I am trying to locate a rebuild kit for the starter motor on my 89 RR. Does anyone know of a site that sells that kit?
The starter will turn the engine over, but very slowly. I first thought it was a dead battery so I recharged it, but then it did the same thing. I also noticed a little smoke coming from the back and left side of the engine so I felt the starter and it was very hot.
check your engine earth (ground?) always run a strap from the battery to the block,major cause of starting problems with rover V8s
you can get brand new ones over here for £80 get one shipped over

· Registered
324 Posts
I had this same problem today. I ran a jumper cable from the neg terminal to the strap behind the alternator and it started right up. Where is the strap from the motor to the chassis?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
I have a starter out of a '94 Disco that I am currently parting out. I was told by the owner that is was less than three years old. It looks good and starts the truck right up . If you would like to buy it the starter is $45 including shipping.
Cheers,
Paul

[email protected]

· Registered
324 Posts
It's not the starter, it is the engine ground. I just was wondering where the ground is from the motor to the chassis. Although, that is a great deal on a starter. The one I priced out prior to figuring out the problem was $185.00!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.