Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 97 Discovery and it will not start! The battery died a few months ago, replaced it and cycled the the door locks for security, but starter will not engage unless I jump it with a screw driver. Is it the starter, or something else. There is a solenoid making a click noise every time I try to start it, don't know if thats normal or not?? Any leads that anybody can tell me will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Alright, let's get back to the basics-cue the Waylon and Willie.

When you turn the key, does the smaller wire on the solenoid show power to it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, the little red wire above the bigger wire has no power to it when key is on. I also need to correct myself on original post. The noise that I was speaking of underneath the pass side glove box, we're all the other goodies are, was a relay not a solenoid. I tend to get them confused. Once again your help is appreciated and the answer to the reason why the little wire has no power, I will be waiting on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cycled the alarm by locking and unlocking it several times, read to do that on another post. The little red light on the instrument cluster is flashing. Relay of some sort somewhere? Im lost brother.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No go. Tried the bypass on the immobilizer, that didn't work. Tore through the dash and looked behind the stereo for the spider, but no such luck. Im going to look through the RAVE manual and see if I can find something. Maybe the gear selector has something to do with it. Keep thinking I read that on one of the post here. Once again, thanks for your help and anymore you might be able to give.

·
Registered
268 Posts
How's your Multi-Function Relay under the hood? I had mine go bad and would cause intermittent starting problems. When it wouldn't start I would get rapid clicking from relays in the passenger side footwell. Replaced the Multi-Function Relay(small black box by the evap under the hood)with one from a parts truck and have had zero issues since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.